Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Macbook And Second Life

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Niniane

Niniane

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:36 AM

My MacBook Pro died last week (all of a couple of months out of warranty - thankfully work provides me with my laptop) and today I was given a new MacBook, running Tiger, Version 10.4.11, 2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. I had been running Second Life on the MacBook Pro without any problems at all but just cannot get it to open on the new MacBook with it crashing as soon as I try and open it.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what the problem might be and how I might overcome it?

:-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 15 August 2008 - 01:07 PM

Hello Niniane

I am by no means an expert with macbooks, but http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/MacBook_Pr...eeze_Workaround might help.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 TVT

TVT

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 15 August 2008 - 02:59 PM

What were you running for an OS on your old MBP?

And do you know if your old hard drive was just cloned to the new one, or did you have to reinstall everything?
Posted Image

#4 Niniane

Niniane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2008 - 10:53 PM

Thanks Nigglesnush85 but my computer doesn't freeze - Second life just crashes straight away. I don't even get to the sign in page, nothing appears at all other than the error message. I am given the option of trying to open it again but the same thing happens within a millisecond. I have read about this 'fix' but I'm not sure if it would apply in my situation? I guess I could try their suggestion anyway but from what I've heard/read, this does cause some other issues? Any ideas?

TVT, the old MacBook Pro was running the same version of Tiger and I've started from scratch (still waiting for someone to dig my hard drive out of the old one). I've downloaded the most recent version of Second Life - and repeated the process again yesterday just in case I had done something wrong the first time. While Second Life crashed at random points in the game previously, at least I could play it without too many issues at all. Now I can't even get to sign in.

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2008 - 05:55 AM

I found a possible work around here http://softwareblogs.intel.com/2007/11/29/...el-965-chipset/ granted the guide is for xp/vista it should be the same for Mac.
Regards,

Alan.

#6 TVT

TVT

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:55 AM

What does the error message read?

And are you on a Macbook Pro? Or a regular Macbook? It might be that your graphics card isnt powerful enough. Whats the graphic card in your current computer?

Edited by TVT, 18 August 2008 - 10:58 AM.

Posted Image

#7 Niniane

Niniane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 10:17 PM

I tried the Work Around given in the wiki entry as suggested by nigglesnush but that didn't help. I am using a regular MacBook now, not the Pro and the graphics card is listed as an Intel GMA 950.

Any other ideas?

Thanks to all for the help so far.

#8 TVT

TVT

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:08 AM

According to the system requirements on the site, the Intel 950 is just over the minimum settings, so it should work. Im gonna try loading it on my machine, which has the same chipset and see if its that, or possibly something else

So I was able to run it with no problems.

When you uninstall Second Life, do you use any app deleter? Or do you just send the app to the trash?

Edited by TVT, 21 August 2008 - 08:25 PM.

Posted Image

#9 Niniane

Niniane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2008 - 09:48 PM

Thanks TVT....the problem happened on this computer when it was new so I hadn't uninstalled it at the time. I just send the application to the trash normally.

#10 TVT

TVT

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 10:44 AM

Just for kicks and giggles, try doing it with an app deleter. Either AppZapper or AppDelete will work. What they do is when you drap an application onto them, is search your harddrive for any files associated with that application. Normally its just preference files, but when I did Second Life, there was a huge support folder. That might be causing the problem. Its hard to say.
Posted Image

#11 Niniane

Niniane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 11:38 PM

Hi TVT,

I tried AppDelete and removed all Second Life files, then downloaded from scratch again. The first time I opened the program, the browser opened and I could sign in (well at least to the point where it said I was logging in) but then Second Life froze. I used 'Force Quit' to get out of it, restarted my computer 'just in case' and then was unable to open the Second Life Browser at all. Not having much luck......

#12 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 715 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 27 August 2008 - 12:04 PM

I don't know if this would help but it wouldn't hurt your Mac to try it.
Resetting Launch Services
Another set of tips you can try.
Multiple applications quit unexpectedly or fail to launch

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 03:20 PM

If your drivers are out of date, second life will fail to launch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users