Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restoring Files

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 djdaddyk

djdaddyk

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 15 August 2008 - 06:24 AM

hi..

I've just got a new pc, running xp, and added a 200gb hard drive, from my old pc which was just for storage, no OS installed on it. When I switched on the new pc, windows insisted on running a disk check on it. I say insisted, what i mean was that when prompted "or hit any key to cancel" it ignored me hitting the keys and went ahead anyway...

when i rebooted, in MY Computer, the drive showed up, but when i tried to open it, it showed nothing... I've selected 'Properties' and it shows 189gb, 83gb free, but i can't access any files...

my question is how do i retrieve al these files????
please help!!!!

thanks

[Moderator edit: added topic description. jgw]

Edited by jgweed, 15 August 2008 - 08:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:30 AM

The reason that chkdsk ran at startup is...it's a protective mechanism.

When detecting drives/devices on a system at boot, Windows does a check of the operating status of such. If a hard drive is determined to be in need of disk maintenance (for whatever reason), chkdsk will run until it is satisfied that it now read/write to the drive in question satisfactorily.

There's no logical reason to try to stop it or resent it. In fact, (IMO) users should then (after Windows does boot) run chkdsk /r on the drive in question just to make sure that it doesn't have serious problems. The check done at boot is only a 3-stage check, while the full check done using chkdsk /r is a 5-stage check.

In my experience...disappearing files/partitions is a good prompt to seriously check the disk for problems, using a diagnostic program available at the hard drive manufacturer's website.

http://www.pctoday.com/editorial/article.a...t03%2F29t03.asp

As for retrieving files from the drive...that may require recovery software of some type.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_recovery

When in My Computer/Explorer...you see nothing at all as contents for the drive? No error messages?

Is the drive jumpered properly for how you have connected it? http://www.wdc.com/en/library/eide/2579-001037.pdf

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users