Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[ask] How To Connect To A Net Printer Running Xp Os From Win 98 Os

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bakul sate

bakul sate

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 15 August 2008 - 12:27 AM

Hi, all

I have a little problem in my office. I want to connect to an HP 3740 printer from network.
The computer that host the printer is running windows xp sp2, and the printer is already shared on the network.
I want to connect to that printer from another computer running windows 98se.

the problem:
when i tried to add the printer it asked for a password, but i didn't setup any password for the printer.
its display something like this "\\computer name\IP$" with a password field underneath to fill in.

the other problem is that computer running win xp is not accessible from win 98. why is that happen? while connecting to other xp computer from win98 is not a problem, just connecting to this particular win xp only.

any solutions? please help.

thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 15 August 2008 - 04:49 AM

I have to admit I am not too great with mixed OS networks older that 2000. Can't remeber the boundarys with 98. I would say the best way of trying to connect would be the just type \\WIN-XP-PC-NAME\ and see if the Printer is listed. If this is not then go back to the XP machine and make sure you have no spaces in the share name as these will not be vissible for 98. If you can see it them right click on the printer and select connect this should then allow you connection to the printer in the future.

I hope this helps.
Posted Image

#3 bakul sate

bakul sate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:04 PM

I have to admit I am not too great with mixed OS networks older that 2000. Can't remeber the boundarys with 98. I would say the best way of trying to connect would be the just type \\WIN-XP-PC-NAME\ and see if the Printer is listed. If this is not then go back to the XP machine and make sure you have no spaces in the share name as these will not be vissible for 98. If you can see it them right click on the printer and select connect this should then allow you connection to the printer in the future.

I hope this helps.

thanks for your replay projectfocus.. :thumbsup:

I've tried your suggestions already, but still it is not work. hope there is another solutions.

thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users