Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Logging In As Administrator

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 johntesh

johntesh

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:25 PM

I recently reinstalled windows. I set everything up as the default administrator (bookmarks, addons, installed programs I wanted, etc.). I read that that was not a good idea and I should set up another user account to use for everyday computer use. I created another user, but was forced for it to be a Computer Administrator. I switched users and found out some programs I installed were not on this new account. I then could create a "limited" user, so I did. I logged off the default administrator and now it does not show up as one of the users.

I looked around online to try and figure out how I am supposed to log in as that default administrator. The "Ctrl-Alt-Delete" doesn't bring up the administrator. Can I only get into it using safe mode? How can I get all the settings I set up into the other users?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 johntesh

johntesh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:35 PM

Okay, I logged in as the admin in safe mode, restarted, and hitting "Ctrl-Alt-Del" twice brought up the login window and I could sign in as the default administrator. Everything I've done for the past day is here.

Now, how can I transfer everything to a limited user? For some reason I assume everything done as the admin would automatically be loaded into subsequent users.

#3 johntesh

johntesh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:34 AM

I've semi-figured things out.

I right click on My Computer - Properties - Settings - select Admin - copy to - user I want to overwrite

Everything worked, except I got an error about Windows not being able to copy a file dealing with cookies. When I go into that profile, it looks like everything is perfect, except for Firefox (and perhaps IE if I used it). What should I do?

And in general, should I always do my computing on a limited profile? What happens if I want to install a program? Do I have to go into Admin, then copy it over to the limited user? Seems like a hassle.

#4 johntesh

johntesh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:51 AM

It looks like that problem occurred because I was trying to copy the default admin to another admin. I have successfully copied the default admin to a limited user. Now why does the limited user look like I'm running Windows 98? Why in the lower right hand corner does my anti-virus not show up?

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 15 August 2008 - 01:05 PM

Hello johntesh,

Have you right clicked on the desktop and selected properties? You can change the theme to something other that the default.

You may need to instal the AV to the other acount too.
Regards,

Alan.

#6 johntesh

johntesh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2008 - 01:15 PM

Hello johntesh,

Have you right clicked on the desktop and selected properties? You can change the theme to something other that the default.

You may need to instal the AV to the other acount too.

The theme change to XP worked. I double clicked on BitDefender and it loaded fine. It as well as SpyBot didn't load automatically though.

Is running a limited user account really worthwhile? From looking around, some people say yes, others say no.

#7 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2008 - 01:21 PM

That's good to hear.

The benefits of using a limited acount are that its slightly harder to corrupt as it has fewer rights.
I prefer to have admin acounts as I need to change settings, alter components etc and don't like logging off one acount and starting another.

If you don't instal that much software or edit system settings then a limited acount would probably be better for your needs. However, if you do need to alter system settings and instal software then an admin acount would be better for your needs.
Regards,

Alan.

#8 johntesh

johntesh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2008 - 01:48 PM

Yeah, I'm not really liking the limited account. I think I'll stick to the admin account.

Should I actually use the "Administrator" to log in or should I use a user account with my name that has administrator's rights? I assume hackers see the name. Would using the one with my name throw them off?

Edited by johntesh, 15 August 2008 - 01:49 PM.

#9 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2008 - 02:26 PM

I would create a user account with administrator privileges. Then secure the account as much as possible. I would leave the actual Administrator account alone, as this can be used in the event the system gets compromised.
Regards,

Alan.

#10 johntesh

johntesh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2008 - 03:19 PM

Sounds good. I went ahead and did that. It looks like everything was working in this new admin account, except Tea Timer wasn't running, so I reinstalled Spybot and another program I had to reinstall.

#11 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2008 - 03:53 PM

If something looks like its not running correctly a reinstall in most cases will fix the problem.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users