Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Antivirus For My Family

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 oneup

oneup

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:59 PM

My family's anti virus is going to end soon, and I was wondering what the community thought was the best anti virus. I've been using avast free, and my family has been using Norton, and I just wanted to see what the best option people think is, free or paid, as my father will be paying for it.
I have good anti spyware, and a good firewall, so that is no worry.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:32 PM

Selecting an AV is more of a personal decision, than a "which is better" decision, since the one's you have listed are all reputable products.
The reason I say it's more of a personal decision, is the fact that no AV program will catch every problem, so it boils down to which user interface you're more comfortable with using.
None of them are 100% effective, so for that reason, it's a good idea to occasionally run a couple of the free online scans, as an extra layer of protection.

I also recommend staying away from suites.
It seems the more they add to the program, the more problems people have with it.
That's why, in my opinion, it's better to use programs that are dedicated to one job (AV, Firewall, Antispyware, ....), instead of trying to do everything.
You'll have fewer problems in the long run.

You should also consider using one of the free AV's on the market.
They're just as effective as their pay-for counterparts, but they lack some of the "bells-and-whistles" of the pay-for programs.
I've been using the freeware version of AVG for several years, and haven't had any problems.

This link, Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps, will provide a list of several alternatives, that work just as good as any paid program.
All programs on the list are used by our members, and Spyware free.
Also, why pay a lot for something (Antivirus, Firewall, Anti-Spyware), that you can get for free, that will do the same job, if not better.

Just my 2 worth. :thumbsup:

Edited by tg1911, 14 August 2008 - 09:36 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 15 August 2008 - 12:47 PM

Just to add, most AV products will offer trial versions that you can test to see if you like the product.
Regards,

Alan.

#4 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 15 August 2008 - 02:28 PM

Hi,
Well written independent reviews of secuity freeware (and other progs) at TechSupportAlert:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-...us-software.htm

Richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users