Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuck On "windows Did Not Start Successfully" Screen

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 teenabeena

teenabeena

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:50 PM

Hello,
My husband went to a website stating that it would help with World of Warcraft quests, as soon as he got there something popped up saying that there was a trojan virus attached to the website. He closed out of the website. Our antivirus, Symantec, popped up stating it was trying to fix it. My husband didn't know what to do so he closed that. As soon as he closed it, the wall paper was gone and the screen went blue. The antivirus popped up again, he clicked clean, it came back asking him what to do next, he wasn't sure and it was 2am so he closed it all down. It would not shut down so he did a hard shut down by holding down the power button.
When he booted the system this morning it went to the "Windows did not start successfully" screen. no matter which boot option you choose, it comes back to this screen. Even if you let the count down timer run out, it goes back to this screen.

Please help me. Do I need to just throw this expensive paper weight out? Is there any saving it? would a boot disk help?

Thank you for any help you can give!!! :thumbsup:

teenabeena

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 15 August 2008 - 05:05 AM

It sounds to me that it has corupted some of the main system files. The best thing to do would be to run a boot disk like UBCD (Ultimate Boot CD) and then take all the files you require off onto a external drive. Then restore from backup.
If you don't have a backup then try running the XP CD and use the repair mode when prompted. This will enable you to run a Chkdsk /f to fix any errors on the drive. Although I don't think this will help.

Best option remove the files you want to keep and do a reload of XP if you don't have a backup.

I Hope this helps
Posted Image

#3 teenabeena

teenabeena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2008 - 04:47 PM

Well,
I was finaly able to get in to my computer. As you suspected check disc was not able to fix it. Although it did find and fix a bunch of things, it did not solve the problem. We ended up taking the hard drive out and putting it in another computer and removing all the important data. We found that about 2/3 of the system files were wiped out. We ran the recovery CDs I created when I got the computer and just did a system restore. I have to install all my apps again, but at least my computer is back with all the data intact (from what I can tell so far). I got rid of symantec because it never worked anyway, and I purchased and installed A-squared. I did a deep scan and found that we apparently restored a bunch of spyware as well.

Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction! It is so nice to be typing this from my own computer!! :thumbsup:

Everyone at bleepingcomputer is awesome. This is the third problem with my computer and the third time someone has helped me out with a successful ending!!

teenabeena

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 16 August 2008 - 05:47 PM

You mention you got rid of Symantec-what did you install to replace it?
A-squared is a malware scanner, not an antivirus or firewall.
Your system is at risk if you do not install antivirus and firewall programs.

There are several excellent free alternatives, there is a list
HERE: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

These programs are recommended and used by a lot of us here at BC, and all are malware-free.

#5 teenabeena

teenabeena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:20 AM

That is what I thought. My question is this though, if I install something like Antivir as well, will A-squared and Antivir be competeing with each other?
I'm confused about these things.

Thank you for your help.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 18 August 2008 - 11:10 AM

The programs perform different functions, there is no conflict between an AV program and the other types of malware defenses.

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/ If you notice, there is no mention at all of this product being effective against viruses. There are all sorts of malware and no one product works against all types, thus the need for various programs.

Two AV programs could conflict, two firewalls could conflict.

Louis

#7 teenabeena

teenabeena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 11:20 AM

The reason I was conserned was the lack of mention of virus protection, only trojans and other malware. Because we are so frequently plauged with these types of problems, I felt comfortable in puchasing the product. Now that my suspicions are confirmed, I will download the Antivir virus protection.

Thank you so much!

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 18 August 2008 - 03:10 PM

You don't have to purchase a reliable antivirus program, there are many free ones that do job.

I use the Avira product on this system.

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Anti...nload-6527.html Just click the Softpedia Secure Download (US) button.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users