Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Help ... :( I NEED URGENT HELP ... pLEASE HELP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 welly

welly

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 19 April 2005 - 03:23 PM

pEOPLE, i need urgent help. I downloaded program ( I have forgotten which) to clean up my comp. It showed a number of files and in my glee deleted them all. After that, I have not been able to hear any sounds anymore on my comp. My video files play but no sounds. Whats worse is that my CD/DVD hard drive is lost - vanished. I cannot see it anymore in the My Computer view. It also does not work as such I cannot install a new Operating system by booting from start. Help Help Help.

I have tried to reinstall the sound card but have been unsuccessful. I have not been able to restore the hard drive either. Help help Help! Pleas Help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 19 April 2005 - 04:02 PM

I'd start by running System File Checker. Click Start -> Run and type in "cmd" without the quotes. Then when the black DOS emulator screen pops up, type in "sfc /scannow" without the quotes and see if it can find any missing system files. Give it time to work and have your install disk ready to use if prompted.

If that doesn't help and you need to reinstall the system, you'll have to go into the BIOS and reset the computer to boot from the CD by changing the boot order. Once you've installed the operating system, remember to go back into the BIOS and change the boot order back to where it was. (In other words, make a note of the boot order before you change it.)

With the Windows CD in the drive it should start up by itself. This varies with different types of computers. Getting into the BIOS varies with different computers. In some, you hit delete as the computer is booting. In others, it's F2 or F12 or ctrl-alt-esc. If you have a manual or something that came with your computer, that would be a help.

Another possibility - does the program you downloaded have an undo feature that will let it put everything back where it found it?

Another thing to do would be check your hardware Device Manager to see if you need to reinstall drivers, but I'd try the file checker first. To get to Device Manager, hit the Windows key and the Pause/Break key simultaneously. In XP, it's the "hardware" tab and the "Device Manager" button after you get the System Properties box open.

#3 welly

welly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 22 April 2005 - 07:20 AM

Thnx a lot. I did the sfc?scannow thing and it realised some importna dll files are missing so I was asked to insert the Win Xp Service pack 1 cd. The porb is I don"T have the service 1 cd any longer. it would not recognize any other cd. help

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 22 April 2005 - 10:32 AM

It's possible that you can search for the files on the internet. Do you have a list of the files that are missing according to SFC? You need to know the path so that you can put them back where they belong. If you can post a list, we might be able to help.

Alternatively, is it possible that you can borrow an OS CD from a friend? As long as it's XP SP1, it doesn't have to be the same disk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users