Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hangups And Failure To Boot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 No_Skillz

No_Skillz

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 14 August 2008 - 03:49 PM

While watching a movie and surfing the net at the same time, my computer started having hang-ups which lasted about 5 seconds at a time at 2-3 min intervals. Finally it froze altogether at which point I rebooted.

1. First reboot got me to my desktop where the system froze
2. Second reboot got me to the windows loading screen, where it stayed for a long time and rebooted by itself again
3. Third time I chose to reboot in safe mode. Started running AVG 8.0 scan and spybot, but froze again. Scans were not complete
4. Fourth time never made it to windows load screen, just blank and eventually self rebooted again
5. Fifth time got into windows safe mode again, balloon popped up on taskbar that said "Unknown Hard Error" along with a popup box that said the same thing. At this point I thought hard drive was bad since it would stop whenever there was a hangup.
6. Rebooted a couple more times each time with the system hanging up at different points, including a hangup while loading safemode again.
7. Last reboot everything just went back to normal. I did a system restore point from the day before. Restore gave me the same hangup problems that I experienced at first so I undid the restore.
8. Did a reg clean, disabled some startup services, downloaded some windows updates, ran spybot and AVG both of which were clean.

Also found nvsc32.exe running in background, but now it's gone...

Everything seems fine but I don't trust it.

I am running XP Home on SP2.

I just about used all of my computer knowledge to try and get this working, but I don't think the results were due to my actions. I'd like to know what happened, how to fix/avoid problem, and if my computer is truly as clean as spybot and avg say it is. Any suggestions appreciated.

Edited by No_Skillz, 14 August 2008 - 03:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 No_Skillz

No_Skillz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:42 PM

Just a quick update...

Things have gone totally downhill. After being on for most of the day with me cleaning up the HD and registry a bit, I decided to do a CHKDSK. CHKDSK started after it asked me to reboot. It eventually got stuck on step 5 out of 5, at 5%. It was there for over an hour. Thunderstorms rolled in and we lost power for a bit.

Now computer does not boot.
With Normal Mode or Last Good Boot Settings, it gets to the windows load screen and restarts itself.
With Safe Mode it loads a bunch of stuff, prompts "Press ESC to cancel SPDV.sys" (or something like that, it's only on the screen for a second) and restarts itself.

I NEED this computer for my clinical rotations which require me to write medical papers. I have lots of research material on there. Any help is appreciated.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:12 AM

It seems you posted the same question here and are already getting detailed assistance. To avoid confusion, I suggest you continue working with the helper there.

Also found nvsc32.exe running in background, but now it's gone..

You did not mention that in your other thread.
Nvsc32.exe is registered as Trojan/Backdoor WORM_SDBOT.BE. More info about it here.

Backdoor Trojans, IRCBots and Infostealers are very dangerous because they provide a means of accessing a computer system that bypasses security mechanisms and steal sensitive information like passwords, personal and financial data which they send back to the hacker. Remote attackers use backdoor Trojans as part of an exploit to gain unauthorized access to a computer and take control of it without your knowledge. Read Danger: Remote Access Trojans.

If your computer was used for online banking, has credit card information or other sensitive data on it, all passwords should be changed immediately to include those used for banking, email, eBay, paypal and online forums. You should consider them to be compromised. They should be changed by using a different computer and not the infected one. Banking and credit card institutions should be notified of the possible security breach. Because your computer was compromised please read How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?

Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of malware, the best course of action is to wipe the drive clean, reformat and reinstall the OS. Please read:

"When should I re-format? How should I reinstall?"
"Help: I Got Hacked. Now What Do I Do?"
"Where to draw the line? When to recommend a format and reinstall?"

Your last reply to Carbon Dudeoxide indicates you are going to take your machine to the service department at Best Buy so you may want to advise them that you had this backdoor Trojan on your system.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 No_Skillz

No_Skillz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2008 - 12:54 PM

Thanks for the reply;

I didnt mention that I had nvsc32.exe on that forum because I realized that it was actually ncvsc32.exe, which is just my video driver.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2008 - 02:56 PM

At least that mistake in the file name was good news. Good luck with the repair.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users