1. First reboot got me to my desktop where the system froze
2. Second reboot got me to the windows loading screen, where it stayed for a long time and rebooted by itself again
3. Third time I chose to reboot in safe mode. Started running AVG 8.0 scan and spybot, but froze again. Scans were not complete
4. Fourth time never made it to windows load screen, just blank and eventually self rebooted again
5. Fifth time got into windows safe mode again, balloon popped up on taskbar that said "Unknown Hard Error" along with a popup box that said the same thing. At this point I thought hard drive was bad since it would stop whenever there was a hangup.
6. Rebooted a couple more times each time with the system hanging up at different points, including a hangup while loading safemode again.
7. Last reboot everything just went back to normal. I did a system restore point from the day before. Restore gave me the same hangup problems that I experienced at first so I undid the restore.
8. Did a reg clean, disabled some startup services, downloaded some windows updates, ran spybot and AVG both of which were clean.
Also found nvsc32.exe running in background, but now it's gone...
Everything seems fine but I don't trust it.
I am running XP Home on SP2.
I just about used all of my computer knowledge to try and get this working, but I don't think the results were due to my actions. I'd like to know what happened, how to fix/avoid problem, and if my computer is truly as clean as spybot and avg say it is. Any suggestions appreciated.
Edited by No_Skillz, 14 August 2008 - 03:54 PM.