Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Web Browsing Slowness With P2p

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sam-my

sam-my

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 14 August 2008 - 02:03 PM

My desk PC is connected to a modem through a router. This PC is running XP Pro and has a Pentium 4, 3Ggz.
I have also two laptops connected (wireless) to the router, one is using XP pro and the second Vista Premium.
When I boot my PC, I'm able to surf normally. But just after running Bittorrent the PC slows down to a grind, and goes very very slow, and after few minutes the internet went to a stop. BT keeps running.
When BT is running on the background and I am trying to connect to the net I have to do many attempts (sometimes up to 20) before being connected.
When I'm tunning off BT everything reverts to normal
On the other side the effect on the two laptops is less significant. I can easily connect to the net and they are running un-disconnected (BT is not running on the laptops).

I have been told that:
"P2P protocols don't hog the BANDWIDTH, they just hog the processing time of the NIC and with the release of Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Microsoft Windows XP, the SP2 has introduced a feature that limit concurrent TCP connection attempts that are possible to 10 per seconds. In Service Pack 1 or without Service Pack, there is no limit on concurrent TCP connection attempts."??

any ideas?

thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JSteele

JSteele

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 14 August 2008 - 02:40 PM

Sam,

The statement you referred to is correct, SP2 put a limit on tcp connections which can affect your p2p program. Reading about your issue I suggest adjusting the throttle control of your uploads/downloads in BT. The statement that p2p programs to not hog your bandwidth is false.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 14 August 2008 - 02:55 PM

FWIW: The number of connections can be increased via a registry edit...but I believe your total bandwidth is the limiting factor.

The more connections that you utilize, the slower each connection is likely to get (assuming that they all download at the same speed and user bandwidth is exhausted). Anyone who has done multiple downloads at the same time will have an idea of what I'm trying to say.

So, in reality...a user doesn't gain anything. More connections are allowed but the bandwidth remains the same for your connection...which is the real limiting factor, IMO. I could be wrong.

http://www.maximumpcguides.com/speedup-int...nections-limit/

The simultaneous connection regedit...is probably what you had in mind.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/increase_inter...connections.htm

You may find this educational: http://www.theukwebdesigncompany.com/artic...e.php?article=5

I cannot comment on how P2P protocols work...but I do remember using Napster and how it responded when maxed out.

Louis

#4 sam-my

sam-my
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 14 August 2008 - 03:10 PM

Thanks JSteel for your prompt answer

I'm not so familiar with BT Toolbars at all . I've tried understand your advise and checked every one of the toolbar icons.
I Clicked on "Properties" , click on the "Advanced" tab, checked the box "Enable task Specific Settings", which open the buttons "Download Rate" and "Upload Rate" (which were mentioned "No Limit") and put a limit to them.

Is it what you proposed in your thread? Hope will help.

Many thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users