Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

occational system disk failure

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bubbleman

bubbleman

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 19 April 2005 - 02:17 PM

i have a problem when i boot the system the bios
does not recognise the hard drive and displays it as none, which in turn displays "disk boot failure, replace disk and press any key." it is set up as the first boot sequence in bios,and there is no floppy in the drive, or cd rom in the drive.
i found out that if i open the case and disconnect
the ribbon cable from the hard drive,and then re-connect it, the system boots just fine,and there is no further problem for a few days until it happens again and i repeat the process.I also sometimes get a blue screen come up displaying: "cannot write to drive c data will be lost." and i have to reboot.
i have replaced the hard drive, and the ribbon cable, and also the motherboard & power pack was replaced a year ago. what else could it possibly be.
I have winME, jetway motherboard 1600 MHZ & 384MB memory.
Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 19 April 2005 - 08:44 PM

What make and model of hard drive do you have?
Is it set to Master or Cable Select?
Is there another device on that IDE channel (e.g. CDROM drive)?
Does the ribbon cable have different coloured connectors or all black connectors?

Suggestions:
  • Pull out the power cable to the drive, choose another power cable (there are usually spares) and plug that in as firmly as possible.
  • If there is a second IDE channel on the motherboard, disconnect any cable from that and connect your hard drive on its own to the second channel. Don't connect anything to the first channel.
See how things run that way.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2005 - 10:25 PM

Replace the battery on your motherboard if you haven't done so lately. They are relatively inexpensive (about $5) and can cause the symptoms you describe.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 bubbleman

bubbleman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2005 - 06:28 PM

thanks for the reply rimmer.
hard drive is seagate, set to master on ide 0
there is nothing else on the ide 0 cable.
on the other cable ide 1 there is a cd rom & cd writer.
the cables are yellow & the connector on the board is blue,
and on the hard drive is black.
i will try your advice and get back to you.
regards.

#5 bubbleman

bubbleman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2005 - 06:34 PM

hi leurgy,
thanks for the advice,
the battery was last changed 16 months ago.
do i need a battery already?
maybe i'll change it anyway,
how long should they last?
regards.

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2005 - 06:43 PM

I'd suggest you change it anyway. They're so cheap its not a big deal.

The amount of time they last varies as they are charged somewhat when the computer is in use or on some computers just plugged in. I've also seen new ones that were dead when purchased. Most computers use 2032's.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 bubbleman

bubbleman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2005 - 05:37 PM

hi rimmer,
I have tried a new motherboard battery but still got the same problems.
I tried your suggestion and left the first ide channel blank , and plugged the hard drive on the second channel, on its own.
so far it appears that it has cured the problem,
what does this indicate?
what do I do to put it right?
regards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users