Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Idle Process Eating Memory

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 slash_sandman

slash_sandman

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 14 August 2008 - 05:47 AM

Hey guys, here goes:

Alright so my system is running as smooth as butter and I have no problems with it whatsoever. I turn my computer on the next day and it takes 5 whole minutes for Windows to load. When it starts its slow as hell so I went and checked the Task Manager. Turns out my System Idle Process is taking up 98% Usage and my CPU usage is close to 60%. At this point my computer is running slow as ever. After a few restarts and high boot times I checked it again and it was still the same.

I thought it was my Symantec Client Antivirus so I uninstalled that and got Kaspersky 8 but still no change in the CPU usage. It's still through the roof. I ran virus checks with both the Antivirus' (3 hours each!!!) but no luck. I havent installed or downloaded anything new and my Windows Firewall was on and my Antivirus up-to date.

I thought it was some kind of Malware so I installed XoftSpy SE 4.0 and did a check and it come up with nothing.

I keep my computer pretty clean and optimized and low on System Processes so that it runs as fast as possible but I have never encountered a problem like this before.

Also its gotten so slow that when I move my mouse across the screen it lags every 2 seconds.

Please tell me what I should do.

System Config:
Dell Inspiron 6000
Microsoft Windows XP SP3
Intel Pentium M 1.6 Ghz
1Gb Ram
I use my Wireless Connection at home and my LAN at Office

Thanks in advance guys any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 14 August 2008 - 06:35 AM

Hello slash_sandman,

The System Idle process is there to say how much resources are free. For example, if it says 98% then that means that the system is using 2%
Regards,

Alan.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 14 August 2008 - 07:03 AM

That's a rather old laptop, even a gig of ram won't make up for a slower cpu

Did you run the norton's uninstaller?

Adding more resident AV's are just going to make the matter worse.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2008 - 07:14 AM

If the number under the CPU column for System Idle Process is 98 - then that's OK
If the number under the CPU column for System Idle Process is 60 - then that's not OK

If you got the 60% number from another tab in Task Manager (most likely the Performance tab), then that's what's being used by the CPU at that moment.

Try this... Open up Task Manager and go to the Processes tab. Double click on the CPU column header. This will sort the view by CPU usage. Keep this window open until the system starts to lag - then see what's taking up the most CPU cycles (the top several processes may be helpful). Then, repeat this for the Memory column.

Next, go to the View menu item and select "Select columns". Place a check mark in the IOReads box and click OK to exit the dialog. This'll tell you about hard disk reads (which is the most common reason for system slowdowns). Then expand the window and double click on the IOReads column to see what's using the most there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 slash_sandman

slash_sandman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2008 - 07:20 AM

Hey guys, thanks for such a quick reply. I understand all your points and have checked them out. I have no new process' running or any unknown process' taking up a lot of memory, cpu or I/O Reads.

What I don't understand is how I got from a very fast computer to one which lags while I type this post overnight!!

Thanks.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2008 - 07:32 AM

First run a scan with MBAM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=876163

if that comes up clean, run the norton's uninstaller

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgen...005033108162039

you didn't answer my question regard that

Uninstall one of your resident antivirus

If MBAM shows any infection we need to go to the Am I Infected forum
Chewy

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:12 AM

The lack of any obvious resource hogs - coupled with a high CPU utilization in the Performance tab - suggests either malware or a file corruption.

In addition to what DaChew has suggested, I'd also check your Event Viewer for errors that may give a clue about this.
To do this, go to Start - Run - and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
Check for errors around the time that you last booted in both the System and Application log files
Also check for other errors while the system is running.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 slash_sandman

slash_sandman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:27 AM

Hey sorry for not replying to DaChew's post, I ran a scan with Norton and got nothing. Uninstalled Norton using the Norton Uninstaller, then installed Kaspersky, updated it and ran the scan.

I think this problem happened sometime around the 11th and 12th.

I went into the Event Viewer and under

11th, System:

1. I had 4 errors for "atapi" (The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.)

12th, System:

1. I had 1 error for "Service Control Manager"

(The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
AFD
eeCtrl
Fips
intelppm
IPSec
MRxSmb
NetBIOS
NetBT
RasAcd
Rdbss
SAVRT
SAVRTPEL
SPBBCDrv
SYMTDI
Tcpip)

2. I had 6 errors for "Service Control Manager"

IPSEC
TCPIP
AFD Service
DHCP Server
SHCP Client

All failed to start because a device attached to the system is not functioning properly.

After that the rest of the days have been pretty standard.

11th, Application: No Errors

12th, Application:

1. I had 1 error for "Symantec Antivirus"

The description for Event ID ( 45 ) in Source ( Symantec AntiVirus ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event:

SYMANTEC TAMPER PROTECTION ALERT

Target: C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DoScan.exe
Event Info: Terminate Process
Action Taken: Blocked
Actor Process: C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe (PID 2040)
Time: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 10:39:41 AM.

After that the rest of the days have been pretty standard.

Hope thats what you were looking for.

Edited by slash_sandman, 14 August 2008 - 09:28 AM.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:43 AM

The controller error (11th, System) is most likely to be the most significant one here.
The first error(s) on the 12th, System is most likely due to booting into Safe Mode
The next one has to do with your network - and may/may not be significant
The last one (12th, Application) has to do with your Symantec stuff. Had you uninstalled it prior to this? Did you try and access Task Manager then - and did you get an error when you tried?

To try and isolate the controller error try these things:

I'd have to suggest running chkdsk /r on your hard drive, then run a diagnostic (usually available for free from the manufacturer of your hard drive).

I'd also try disconnecting the cables to your CD/DVD drives to see if that helps things out (just a hunch on my part).

Finally, I'd update the motherboard/chipset drivers for your motherboard on the off chance that they've become corrupted.

#10 slash_sandman

slash_sandman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2008 - 10:44 AM

Hey, thanks for the quick reply.

Alright so I ran MBAM and it caught one registry key entry a Hijack on the Start Menu. Successfully deleted that but still no change in performance.

Ran chkdsk but got nothing. I Don't want to run a Diagnostic yet since I don't want to risk a crash.

I don't know how to disconnect the CD/DVD Drives on a Laptop. I thought of that one too.

I don't know which motherboard I'm using since I don't have the specifications anymore. Is there a software that can tell you the product names of all installed hardware?

Thanks again guys.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 14 August 2008 - 10:47 AM

You can try SIW Download - http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html

Louis

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2008 - 03:09 PM

Laptop CD drives are usually fairly simple to disconnect - but each one is different. Try this site to see if they have instructions for your model: http://repair4laptop.org/

#13 slash_sandman

slash_sandman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2008 - 01:07 AM

Hey, my laptop isn't listed there. Should I run a defrag?

#14 Bobang

Bobang

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 15 August 2008 - 04:24 AM

It might also be that your computer has fallen back into the PIO mode. To check this press:

My Computer | Properties or WindowKey+Pause (last key in the top row - may be different on your system) | Hardware | Device Manager | IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers | Primary IDE Channel | Double Click | Advanced Settings (tab).

Now check the Transfer Mode for both Devices 0 & 1 and make sure it is set to "DMA if available". If it is showing (in the line below) PIO then that is definitely the cause of the crawling speed and a long start. Normally after having it set to DMA it should go into the DMA/UDMA mode after a restart. If that is not the case ( it continues to remain in the PIO mode even after a reset and restart) you can do as suggested by usasma:

I'd also try disconnecting the cables to your CD/DVD drives to see if that helps things out (just a hunch on my part)

then restart with them disconnected, uninstall them, reconnect them and Restart. Your system will auto re-install those devices and also reinstate the DMA mode or if you don't want to all that, simply download a small script (under "Quick solution: 1. click here") from http://winhlp.com/node/10 . The script will fix it for good..

You can also read the rest of the article explaining the problem.

I doubt if "Defrag" can fix it, as it seems to be a conflict or malfunction of sorts. :thumbsup:

Edited by Bobang, 15 August 2008 - 04:33 AM.

Bobang

in all things be men

#15 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2008 - 04:40 AM

Good point Bobang

The dell does use a ata/pata hard drive also

Edited by DaChew, 15 August 2008 - 04:41 AM.

Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users