Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Selection Screen Not Showing Up - Dell 3008wfp Monitor

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 blackberet

blackberet

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 14 August 2008 - 01:10 AM

I've been working on setting up a MacPro at work (I set up faculty members' computers at the university I attend), and I've gotten most of the many holes ironed out at this point. It's set up to run both OSX and Vista 64 through Boot Camp. I'm using the NTFS-3g driver so that the Windows drive is writeable from the Mac side. This required me to use rEFIt, which provides a boot menu at startup so that I can select which partition to run (NTFS-3g partitions aren't recognized by the Mac at startup, so this is the workaround).

So here's the issue... David (the faculty member) has a three monitor setup, with two 24" Samsung SyncMaster 215T's set in portrait on the left and right, and a huge 30" Dell 3008WFP in the middle in landscape (all are using DVI-D). The Dell is of course set as the primary display. When the computer boots up, rather than showing the off-white Apple boot screen, or -- as I would hope -- the rEFIt boot menu, it's just a black screen. The monitor recognizes the input because the status light turns from amber to blue. Once it gets into an OS all three monitors the OS appropriately.

This is an issue since David needs to be able to select an OS when he boots up, otherwise it will always go with the default.

I hooked in just one of the Samsungs via VGA, and the boot menu appears just as one would expect.

So the culprit is obviously the Dell. I went to their website and installed the driver for it (although now that I think of it, I may have only installed it on the Vista side... I wonder?). I've tried shutting it off and then on. I know the connections are secure and the cables are good. I've tried flipping through the monitor's different inputs during boot up as well. I'm not really sure what else can be done.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 blackberet

blackberet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 15 August 2008 - 10:26 PM

Okay, for the sake of anyone unfortunate enough to fall into the same mess I did, I received some advice from a different online forum.

It was suggested that rEFIt uses a resolution not supported by the 3008WFP. I scoured the web a bit to see how I might adjust that (I believe it's 1440x900), but came up short. So, since the setup has two additional monitors, I just switched one of the Samsung cables with the Dell on the tower. The Dell monitor was plugged in by itself in the first video card, and the two Samsungs were together on the second. Switching cables re-assigned one of the Samsungs to the "primary monitor" position, and rEFIt now displays on that one.

I've also read that the 3008WFP can be pretty darn buggy. I guess bigger isn't always better...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users