Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How's This?

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 14 August 2008 - 12:35 AM

Hey all,

planning on building a new system, how's this?

(Note: Some may think the motherboard isn't a good choice, but I'm looking for one that supports AGP video cardand AMD Athlon 64 X2 processor. I have a AGP video card in my old system that I don't want to waste).

Motherboard: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...ER&v=glance (how is the company MSI?)
$62.84

CPU: AMD Athlon64X2 (AM2 Dual Core) 4600+ 2.4Ghz CPU 1M
http://www.powersonic.ca/shop/category.asp?catid=135 $69

RAM: Crucial Rendition 1GB 1X1GB PC2-5300 DDR2-667 240PIN DIMM Memory
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...AL%20TECHNOLOGY
$18.99

Something from the "Mid ATX Tower Case" section here maybe: http://www.vastechcomputer.com/tower_case.html ... ~ $30

(or maybe http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...nufacture=Xion).

Total before taxes: CDN. $180.83

(I may use my current IDE HD, dvd drive I'm using my current one for sure, so no need to buy those parts).

Any feedback appreciated, thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 14 August 2008 - 01:11 PM

I have an older MSI board that I've never had problems with.
What are you going to use for a heatsink for that CPU? Don't forget the thermal compound also
Never used that type of Crucial Ram
Keep in mind that you need good airflow inside the case I wouldn't use the power supply that comes with the case either
What are you doing for a video card? Wouldn't you rather go with PCI-E?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 14 August 2008 - 02:17 PM

I would say it looks like a good system.

Crucial RAM is basic, but I have never had any problems with it. I would also consider a PCI-E card, while AGP still has some power in it, PCI-E has a lot more.
Regards,

Alan.

#4 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2008 - 06:52 PM

I have an older MSI board that I've never had problems with.
What are you going to use for a heatsink for that CPU? Don't forget the thermal compound also
Never used that type of Crucial Ram
Keep in mind that you need good airflow inside the case I wouldn't use the power supply that comes with the case either
What are you doing for a video card? Wouldn't you rather go with PCI-E?

O yea i forgot about the heatsink..any suggestions for it?
I want to use my current AGP video card. It's not a expensive or new model, but i don't want to spend more $$ on a PCI-e video card (and like i said i don't want to waste my current AGP one). I know Integrated graphics is supposed to be better now, but my new system, ASUS M2A-VM's onboard video is still no where near as good as my current AGP vid card, which is why i don't want to waste my current video card (My current system with the AGP card cannot run very fast therefore cannot take full advantage of the video card. I'd like the (hopefully) soon-to-be new system to be able to take advantage of it.).

And i guess you don't like that kind of "cheap ram"?

I would say it looks like a good system.

Crucial RAM is basic, but I have never had any problems with it. I would also consider a PCI-E card, while AGP still has some power in it, PCI-E has a lot more.

What would be the price of a cheap, but reliable PCI-E video card? (My current one I bought for $79 a few years ago. It's a HIS radeon 9550 card).

Also do you have any suggestions / stuff to look out for when building the system? And will the Case I mentioned earlier fit the MSI mobo (if I get it)? And on that note, how is the company MSI in terms of quality?

On another note, do you think I'll be able to finish this in around 2 weeks time (before school starts)? The shipping will probably take ~1+ weeks for it to arrive, which leaves me with 1 week to build this. Don't think this should be a complicated build, but any comments for that regard? (Just in terms of actually putting together the system, not installing the OS. I'm good at that :thumbsup:, just not-so-good in building it).

Thanks again all!

Edited by funnytim, 14 August 2008 - 07:01 PM.

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2008 - 07:26 PM

And i guess you don't like that kind of "cheap ram"?

Nope, I think its great, I have had a couple of modules from them and all work fine. They were cheap and basic, but they do the job well.

As for a PCI-E card, Newegg have some good products. But getting a graphics card depends on what the use for the system will be.

MSI in my experience with the brand I have had no problems at all. I would rate them very good. But thats just my opinion I'm sure someone would have had a problem at some stage.

When putting the system together my only advice would be to make sure you read the manuals fully and follow their steps to the letter. If you get all the parts in one shipment you can put it all together in a few hours. I found that instaling windows and performing the updates took more time that the building of the system.
Regards,

Alan.

#6 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:04 PM

Hey,

Thanks!

Just had another thought. Would you recommend me to get that MSI board I mentioned above (and use my current AGP card), or get something along these lines: http://www.ilync.com/index.php?main_page=p...3f53fd9e9024099
and possibly get another PCI-e video card later?

#7 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2008 - 12:09 PM

Its really down to user preference, If you want a gaming system then I would get the PCI-E board as it would be future proof and allow for some great graphics.

If you don't play that many games I would keep the AGP compatible board.

The way I look at graphics cards is that there are three groups... PCI, AGP, PCI-E

PCI is the lowest group with basic features.
AGP was the answer to more advanced games and surpassed PCI.
PCI-E has now become the dominent type.

If I had a choice I would take the PCI-E road in order to stay with the latest technology and because a low cost PCI-E card can in some cases be faster than a mid range AGP card.
Regards,

Alan.

#8 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2008 - 04:23 PM

Well I have another (newer) system that has a PCI-E board, so I can use that computer to upgrade in the future for some better graphics if I want.

However I'm not a "heavy gamer", so i don't need that great of a graphics card anyway.

I paid $79 2 years ago for that AGP video card, and the computer which has it currently is too old & slow processor to really take advantage of the card. That's why i want the newer computer to be able to use that AGP card, so I don't waste it (and can take advantage of it).

And just to confirm, all the parts I listed above are compatible right? (Want to make sur I didn't choose any wrong or something).

Thanks again.

#9 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2008 - 04:43 PM

Thats fair enough, I have just looked over the items in your first post again just to be sure. They all appear to be compatible.
Regards,

Alan.

#10 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2008 - 05:31 PM

And price ($62 US) for that motherboard is reasonable too?

Edit: Garmanma also mentioned a CPU heatsink that I'm missing. Maybe something along these lines would work? http://www.ilync.com/index.php?main_page=p...22f2e658e20072f

Edited by funnytim, 15 August 2008 - 05:38 PM.

#11 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2008 - 05:41 PM

I paid 39 for my motherboard, thats just under $80. using this as a guide I would say it is a good price for the board.
Regards,

Alan.

#12 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2008 - 05:46 PM

Hm I see..

And you also mentioned that you have had no problems with MSI?

And lastly Garmanma also mentioned a CPU heatsink that I'm missing. Maybe something along these lines would work? http://www.ilync.com/index.php?main_page=p...22f2e658e20072f

#13 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2008 - 06:25 PM

That link displays an error page.

With MSI, I have bought some products from them and have never had any problems at all. I'm sure there are people out there that have had problems with them, but I am not one. Building a system is a big step and if you are not comfortable with any of the components then you should change them.

If you want to get a new board then let us know and we can help you choose one.
Regards,

Alan.

#14 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2008 - 06:41 PM

Whoops. http://www.ilync.com/index.php?main_page=p...roducts_id=1767

I've done some system upgrading, installing, and taking apart parts before, so it's not like i've never done anything inside a computer, but never actually built a computer from scratched.
I don't think any of the components are overly diffucult?

Thanks a lot ofyour help though. Once I get the parts I might have to come back here for help though.

Mod Edit: Edited to create a live link. ~ tg

Edited by tg1911, 15 August 2008 - 06:54 PM.

#15 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:04 PM

Thats a good choice for a cooler, I have heard nothing but good things about them.

With regards to building a computer, it is straight forward. Just remember to follow all the instructions and take your time. I was so eager to get my first system going I didn't check the heatsink which was loose. The system kept on crashing. :thumbsup:
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users