Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Antivirus XP 2008

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 fgross120

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 13 August 2008 - 10:45 PM

I also had the Antivirus XP 2008 infection. I was already using Windows Defender, and Norton Online via Yahoo, but neither was any help. Had used AdAware amd Spybot in the past, so downloaded newest free versions, as well as MS Malicious Software Removal Tool and Hijackthis.

The original attack corrupted my Yahoo browser, changed my desktop to a blue screen, destroyed my restore points for System Restore, removed the desktop and screensaver tabs from my Display Properties, and restricted me from Internet Options via the IE7 tools menu.

I have since fixed all but the IE7 restriction, and uninstalled all of the scanners except the Norton Online that comes with Yahoo, which I reinstalled after I got rid of most of the malware. Spybot got rid of all but 4 items: Zango.ShoppingReport, (two) Smitfraud-C.gp, and a Right Media cookie from IE. These may all be bundled in Yahoo, so I am probably stuck with them. An online "kelly" registry "tweak" restored my desktop and screensaver tabs.

I would really like to resolve the IE7 restriction, since it says to contact the system administrator. That would be me. I am able to change Internet Options via Control Panel, but that is the "long way around the pond" from the tools menu in IE. Once I fix that issue, I will establish a new restore point in System Restore for future problems.

If anyone can talk me through the IE7 fix, I would be most appreciative. I am using XP Pro, SP-2.

Edited by fgross120, 13 August 2008 - 10:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,766 posts
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 13 August 2008 - 11:09 PM

Hello fgross120 and welcome to BC :thumbsup:

This is just a quick note to let you know that we have split your post from the original topic it was in into its own thread so that it will get the attention it deserves.

You can find your new topic here:

However, I see that you have posted an HJT log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/162914/lost-in-space-almost/ Because you have this log posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

If after 5 days you still have received no response, then post a link to your HJT log in the thread titled "Haven't Had A Reply In Five Days?".

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. If you are still experiencing problems with this after you have been declared clean by the HJT team, send a private message to a moderator to reopen this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :flowers:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users