Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running Out Of Memory?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 dingdingding

dingdingding

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 13 August 2008 - 09:22 PM

Howdy~

I think that my computer is having memory problems, because I've gotten two alerts lately about....my computer is increasing the page indexing or something like that. I have absolutely no idea, and I don't even know what information anyone will need to help me figure this out.

I use XP, and I know that when I first ordered my computer from Dell, I had them add extra memory (RAM?), but.....I really have no idea what that means.

I do know that I have ALOT of big image files on my computer and that I use Photoshop Elements almost daily, but I don't do any gaming and I don't think that I've ever downloaded a song.

I have noticed that my computer has been getting progressively slower over the past few months though, and even though I've done the whole malware check and the whole defrag thing....it's still oddly slowish (like it takes forever for my browser to open....it lags and sits there and lags some more, but it thankfully will eventually open). Do I need to buy more memory, and if so....how does a person do that?

I'm really quite lost with this entire subject, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,329 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 09:58 PM

Please post back with this information.

Click ..Start > Right click My computer
Select (left click) Properties from the list
The System Properties window will pop up
Select the General tab (if it isn't already)
You'll see System: registered to and Computer
At Computer it will say the amount of RAM (eg 1.00 GB of RAM)
Post that number in your reply

NEXT:
Click .. Start > Left click My Computer
Hold your mouse over Local Disk (C:)
You'll see Free Space and Total Size
eg Free Space 405 GB ... Total Size 465 GB
Post those numbers in your reply

Edited by boopme, 13 August 2008 - 09:59 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 dingdingding

dingdingding
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 10:15 PM

Hi boopme! :thumbsup:

Here is the info you requested:

For the first part, the number is: 256 MB of RAM

And the second part is: Free Space 101 GB, Total Size 111GB

:flowers:

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 14 August 2008 - 12:10 AM

You have plenty of free space left on your harddrive, so that shouldn't be a problem.
If you would up your RAM to a minimum of 512 MB, you would notice a significant improvement in performance.
1GB would be even better.
In my opinion/experience, Microsofts minimum requirements are a joke.
Sure, XP will run with those specs, but just barely.
In reality, 512 MB should be the minimum.

Usually, a Low Virtual Memory warning, is due to a lack of RAM.
When a system starts running low on RAM, it starts using the paging file (virtual memory). which is located on the harddisk.
Since the harddisk is so much slower than RAM, it's not a very efficient way to run things, which could cause sluggish system performance.

Up you RAM, and you will be amazed at the increase in performance.

There's a couple of ways to find out what type of RAM you need.
A good freeware application, is SIW.
You can also go to a site, like Crucial, Kingston, or Corsair, plug in your system specs (Make and Model of your computer), and they will tell you what type of RAM you need, and how much you can use.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2008 - 12:16 PM

The jump from 256 to 512 is noticeable, but going the extra mile fro 256 to 1 gig is amazing. The price difference is not enough to stop anyone from jumping! Buy a name brand, be ware of gaming ram it may appear cheap for a lot of ram but many machines don't like it. PNY. Corsair and many others make good quality stuff.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 dingdingding

dingdingding
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:08 PM

Thank you BCers for your helpful replies! :thumbsup:

So......this RAM memory thing is a chip right? And I'll have to install it....like open my computer and install this chip.......if so, then I might need to cruise through the tutorials for a while and find out how to do that.

Apparently static is a big concern when working on one's computer? And if I decide to clean the dust out of my computer while I'm at it, I should NOT use my vacuum cleaner in any capacity? How about a can of air and a soft paint brush (I'm an artist....I have the brush, but I'll have to buy some air)?

I'll have to try out the links to see what sort of RAM I can get for a Dell Demension 4550. I'll not look at the gaming RAM though (thank you Phil).

Thank you Everybody!

:flowers:

Oh, and what would a name brand be for RAM? Corsair? I'll use that link and check the whole thing out. :trumpet:

Edited by dingdingding, 14 August 2008 - 08:11 PM.

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:36 PM

Thank you BCers for your helpful replies! :thumbsup:

So......this RAM memory thing is a chip right? And I'll have to install it....like open my computer and install this chip.......

Correct.
For installing RAM, Crucial has a decent tutorial, that shows you how to do it.

Apparently static is a big concern when working on one's computer? And if I decide to clean the dust out of my computer while I'm at it, I should NOT use my vacuum cleaner in any capacity? How about a can of air and a soft paint brush (I'm an artist....I have the brush, but I'll have to buy some air)?

You can purchase an anti-static strap, that attaches to your wrist, and the computer, to help prevent a static discharge.
I just keep my forearms in contact with the metal part of the case, while working inside.
If possible, try to avoid standing on a carpeted surface while in the case.

Don't use a vacuum cleaner, as it can create static electricity.
A brush, and a can of air, will work fine.

I'll have to try out the links to see what sort of RAM I can get for a Dell Demension 4550. I'll not look at the gaming RAM though (thank you Phil).

Here's a link to your computers memory suggestions, at Crucial.
It looks like your system will take up to 1GB (2x512MB) of DDR PC2700, or DDR PC3200.

Oh, and what would a name brand be for RAM? Corsair? I'll use that link and check the whole thing out. :flowers:

G.SKILL
OCZ
Kingston
Corsair
Patriot
Crucial
PNY
Mushkin

Edited by tg1911, 14 August 2008 - 08:40 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#8 dingdingding

dingdingding
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:46 PM

Thank you tg1911! :thumbsup:

Here is the page from my Crucial scan:

my crucial scan

And even though the page is full of wonderful information, I have no idea what any of it means. And....I have no idea what the difference between these two things are:DDR PC2700, or DDR PC3200.

My aim is to get as much RAM memory as I can, and.......that's all I know really lol.

Edited by dingdingding, 14 August 2008 - 09:04 PM.

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:17 PM

You're quite welcome, dingdingding.

OK, your scan shows a 2GB maximum, of DDR PC2700, or DDR PC3200.
If you want to get the maximum, you'll need 2 sticks (modules) of 1GB apeice.
You will be able to use any of the products shown here:
PC2700
PC3200

PC3200 would be the faster RAM.

Edited by tg1911, 14 August 2008 - 09:20 PM.

#10 dingdingding

dingdingding
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:50 PM

You rule tg1911! :thumbsup:

But now I have another question, and that is that.....when I pop out the memory chip that's in there now....does that mean that I'd lose my stored information? Or is that even how memory works? Do I have to transfer information from one chip to the new ones? I have no idea lol.

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,329 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2008 - 10:01 PM

No, no infomation is stored on a RAM module once the power is turned off. Each time you power off your PC the RAM memory is dumped.

We also have a BC Tutorial on RAM. It's more then you'll ever want to know :thumbsup: and you can still ask us.
Understanding, Identifying and Upgrading the RAM in your PC
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#12 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2008 - 10:09 PM

It's just a matter of popping out the old, and popping in the new.
It's that easy.
Nothing will be lost.

If you interested in a "little" reading on memory, here's some good reading:
The Memory FAQ

Edited by tg1911, 14 August 2008 - 10:10 PM.

#13 dingdingding

dingdingding
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2008 - 01:17 PM

Awesomeness! :thumbsup:

I'm gonna' order some GB's of Ram, read some tutorials, and if I have any more questions, I'll post 'em. :flowers:

THANK YOU SO MUCH BCers!!! You all are the very best!!!!!! :trumpet:

#14 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2008 - 06:15 PM

You're welcome, dingdingding.
Glad to be of help.

#15 dingdingding

dingdingding
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2008 - 10:55 AM

Hello there Bcers! Thanks to all of your amazing help, I have just installed my memory!!!! Woohoo!!! Yay BCers!!!! :thumbsup: :flowers:

But.........(and you knew there had to be a 'but' lol)........

I was installing two 1GB memory things, and taking out my original one 256MB memory thing.

The first memory thing went in finely. I made sure to notice how the original one came out, and I put the new one in just exactly that way. But then I got to the second new memory thing, and I attempted to install it in just this same manner (I noticed which channel to install it into, noticed the little lock thing, noticed which side the stickers were on, etc), but it didn't fit into the channel the whole way. It fit snuggly, made contact (it didn't wobble on the lock in the channel...it made it past that lock), etc, but the little locks on the sides wouldn't quite snap into place.

So, then I took out the second new memory thing, and tried to install the original memory thing into this second channel (thinking that if the memory went in there, then surely the factory part would fit right in), but the locks didn't quite grab the original memory thing either.

Now, I did alot of reading, made sketches, took notes....and I am pretty darn positive that both of these channels are for the memory things, and yet.....this second channel wasn't havin' it.

So, I thought 'what the hell' and decided to install the second new memory thing into this second channel (again, the first channel and memory thing went fine, so I left that one alone), even though the locks didn't quite lock into those little lock areas on the sides of the memory thing. I figured, perhaps wrongly, that my computer wouldn't get jostled around, and so this second unlocked memory thing shouldn't ever be disturbed. Hopefully....this is okay.

So, I closed the whole thing back up and plugged the system back in and booted up. A screen stopped me, and said that new memory had been installed (I took this as a good sign) and that I needed to hit 'F2' (I think) to see what had happened.

Once I hit F2, another screen appeared and told me:

Installed Memory: 1024 MB DDR SDRAM

System Memory Speed: 266 MHz (which I thought my system said somewhere that it was a 400MHz....but since I have no idea what this means, I'll not worry about it until you tell me that I need to).

AGP Aperture: 128 MB

It said some other stuff on the first screen, but I hit the F2 before I thought about writing it all down. Does any of this mean that that second 1GB (I installed 2GB) isn't being recognized or used at this time? And if so, what should I do about this?

I know that the memory scan at Crucial said that my system could accept 2GB of memory, and there are two channels, so that's what I did, and maybe.....maybe 1024MB is 2GB? Again, I am lost lost lost when it comes to this whole thing of memory, so please overlook my ignorance (lol).

And as a side note: I will also mention that I cleaned out the inside of my computer while I had it open, before I installed the memory...and when the second memory thing didn't lock in on the sides, I did inspect the channel to see if a gremlin had snuggled down in there, but unless the little guy is invisible, the channel was clear.

So......do I have a problem (besides not knowing how many MB are in a GB), or is everything fine? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :trumpet:

Oh, and as another side note: the difference between my old memory and my new was immediate!!! My computer (compared to how it crawled before) is completely screaming lolol! I love my screaming computer, but I just want to really make sure that all is well with that second memory thing, and to make sure whether or not I need to adjust some setting somewhere. I won't touch a thing though until you all tell me to. :inlove:

Edited by dingdingding, 21 August 2008 - 11:00 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users