Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2nd Hard Drive Disappeared

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Rondar

Rondar

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 13 August 2008 - 08:55 PM

I have 2 hard drives installed, and the second drive no longer shows up on my computer. I have looked at the status on the device managerm, and both show to be installed and operating properly. How do I get my second drive to show back up??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:35 AM

When you're in Disk Management, click on the Action tab and select Rescan Disks Does anything change? .Was the disk formatted?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Rondar

Rondar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:21 PM

There was no "rescan disks", but there was a "scan for hardware changes". I ran that and nothing changed.

The second drive has been in use for over a year, nothing was formatted, it just wasn't there one day.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 14 August 2008 - 10:22 PM

In Device Manager, UNINSTALL the drive.
Reboot the computer. Hopefully it will be seen and reinstalled on boot up.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 14 August 2008 - 10:22 PM.

#5 Rondar

Rondar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:06 PM

I uninstalled the drive. Rebooted. And the drive reinstalled itself, but i still cant see it on my computer.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,123 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:34 PM

What drive letter is assigned that drive?

Do you have any other drives (including flash) which have the same drive letter assigned?

Go to Disk Management (Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter).

Is you drive visible in the lower listing? If so, what does it reflect status, size, name, letter assigned?

Louis

#7 Rondar

Rondar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:12 PM

It is a 10gig hard drive that was partitioned into 5 2 gig drives. E,F,G,H,I No other drive used those letters

I ran diskmgmt and the drive was not visible in the lower listing.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,123 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:39 AM

OK, thanks.

How is the drive connected (USB/IDE/SATA)?

Does the drive appear properly in the BIOS?

If it shows in the BIOS, yet does not appear in My Computer or (more importantly) Disk Management...the drive may have a connection problem or be dying/dead.

If no one has changed anything on the system (moved the drive, changed the connecting cable, reset the jumpers), that would have to be my conclusion.

FWIW: Yesterday, I installed a new, additional drive in a friend's system...and was perplexed because it did not show in the BIOS or My Computer or Disk Management. After a few moments, I realized that I was trying to use Cable Select jumper settings on both drives...but the cables (which were old) did not support such. Going to Master/Slave settings corrected everything :thumbsup:.

Louis

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:01 AM

Is this an old IDE drive or a SCSI drive?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 Rondar

Rondar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 11:23 AM

It is an IDE drive.

I do nto know if it shows in Bios.... Not sure how to check that.

It was originally set up as a master/slave connection and was working fine until a few weeks ago.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,123 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:14 PM

How to get into your computer's BIOS - http://www.cyberwalker.net/faqs/reinstall-...enter-BIOS.html

The main screen in the BIOS...or one of the first screens...will show all hard drives and CD/DVD drives which are connected directly to the motherboard. It will not show USB-connected drives.

If both of your drives are connected and working, they should be properly detected and reflected in the BIOS. If a drive is not detected in the BIOS...chances are that it won't show inside Windows and that it has a major malfunction.

Howstuffworks How BIOS Works - http://computer.howstuffworks.com/bios.htm/printable

Louis

#12 Rondar

Rondar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:29 PM

The second drive does not show in BIOS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users