Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stop: C000021a {fatal System Error}

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 mariocubed

mariocubed

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 13 August 2008 - 05:36 PM

Hey guys I have a problem. I'm running Windows XP SP2 on a laptop that has not been able to boot the last few days. The error message I get when starting is:

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000034 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.

There is no reference to what caused this, and I am unable to boot in safe mode. any help would be most appreciatve.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 13 August 2008 - 05:40 PM

Have you tried "Last Known Good Configuration" from the Safe Mode menu?

If that doesn't work insert your Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 mariocubed

mariocubed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 06:29 PM

Yes, i did try "Last Known Good Configuration" and that did not work either.

Is there any other way to do this without the XP CD? I'm away from home for the next week, making tracking down an XP disc all but impossible.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 06:35 PM

Download this file:

http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso

Burn it to a CD as an .iso and then use this CD to boot your problem computer into the Recovery Console.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 mariocubed

mariocubed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:04 PM

I burned the image as rc.iso and put it in my problem computer. It was not recognized as a boot CD.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:06 PM

Is the boot order on your problem CD set up to boot from a CD? You may need to change the BIOS settings.

How did you burn the ISO?

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 mariocubed

mariocubed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:18 PM

I checked my BIOS settings and it is set up to boot from a CD. When I turned on the system it stated that it was "Checking for Boot CD-ROM" and then determined there was no boot CD in the spindle.

I burned the CD using the wizard on windows as a .iso file. That was the default choice to save it as such.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:24 PM

If you view the files on the CD in Explorer what do you see?

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 mariocubed

mariocubed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:43 PM

I see a single file named: rc.iso

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:48 PM

Unfortunately that means it was not burnt correctly.

You need to use some burning software such as DeepBurner (which is free).

When you first run DeepBurner you will be presented with three options. Select the third one "Burn ISO image". It should be self explanatory from there.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 mariocubed

mariocubed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 08:16 PM

Can't try it right now (I don't have administrative power on this computer), but I will do that as soon as I can. Thank you so much for your help.

#12 k2malinda

k2malinda

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2008 - 02:57 PM

Hey all, I've been reading this topic intently because I have the same problem. I have successfully followed all of the steps and get to the recovery console. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no clue what to do once I'm there. Please help me stop the tears and fix my stupid computer (which I love)

Thanks!
-Malinda

#13 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2008 - 04:09 PM

Once in the Recovery Console type: chkdsk /r

—George Bernard Shaw

#14 k2malinda

k2malinda

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:32 PM

Soooo I went through all of these steps, entered the proper things at the prompt, and it said that an error had been found and fixed, restarted and am still getting the same error, how dissapointing

any other ideas?

#15 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:37 PM

Run it again and see if it is still reporting errors.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users