Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Ports Keep Quitting

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BlackAngusYoung

BlackAngusYoung

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:37 PM

Things plugged into any of my computer's USB ports seem to disconnect on their own and then connect again only a second later. It happens with my external disc writer and my external hard drive, whether they are just turned on or actually being used. (Both of these units work very well on other computers.) It happens with all front and back ports as well as with powered and non-powered USB hubs.

Can anyone tell me what could be wrong or what to check for? I have a program called PC Wizard 2008 which might provide some helpful information. I wonder if it could have something to do with maximum packet size or something else I don't understand. Or if I might just need more RAM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LynnKnows2

LynnKnows2

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 13 August 2008 - 03:02 PM

Hey! The amount of RAM that you have wouldn't have anything to do with your USB ports cutting in and out. It could be that there's a loose wire, or a connection that isn't tight. If you have a USB hub, try plugging that into the computer, and the other stuff into the hub. See if that makes any difference.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 13 August 2008 - 04:21 PM

You might also check Event Viewer for possible useful clues about the USB problem.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

#4 BlackAngusYoung

BlackAngusYoung
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 13 August 2008 - 05:15 PM

Hey! The amount of RAM that you have wouldn't have anything to do with your USB ports cutting in and out. It could be that there's a loose wire, or a connection that isn't tight. If you have a USB hub, try plugging that into the computer, and the other stuff into the hub. See if that makes any difference.

I get the same problem with or without the hub, so I think it has to be the computer. Do you think it's more likely that it's a physical problem like a loose connection than something being programmed wrong?

#5 nkfro

nkfro

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 13 August 2008 - 06:17 PM

I get the same problem with or without the hub, so I think it has to be the computer. Do you think it's more likely that it's a physical problem like a loose connection than something being programmed wrong?

The USB ports plug directly into the motherboard. The rapid cycling you describe isn similar to problems I had on a different computer a few years back. Pulled the connector off of the motherboard, plugged it back in and the problem was solved. The pins had developed an oxide coating (very high resistance connection). Pulling the connector and remaking the connection cut through the oxide layer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users