Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Home Network

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ironjack

ironjack

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 13 August 2008 - 12:22 PM

My 2nd computer is connected to my main via Linksys G 2.4 router.
Is it possible to link #2 to my HP Office Jet v40 printer wirelessly.
If so, How? (running xp home)

Thanks in advance

IJ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 13 August 2008 - 12:57 PM

Sure...you just set up the printer as a shared device on the home network.

I just right-click on the printer, go to Properties, click the Sharing/Security tab...etc. It's just like sharing a hard drive or allowing access to files on one computer to another.

Wireless or wired...procedure should still be the same, if the network is properly set up.

The router serves as the instrument where both computers share/talk. As long as that printer is recognized on either system, it can be shared.

Louis

#3 ironjack

ironjack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:17 PM

I think even I can do that.

Thanks M8 !

IJ

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2008 - 11:12 AM

You add any computer to a home network...by running the XP Network Wizard, ensuring that all computers belong to the same workgroup (MS Home is the default and works, but any name would do).

AFAIK, SP2 and SP3 should not affect your home network. I have two systems and ran one on Computer A and the other on Computer B for a time...no problems noted.

The home network is the key...and each computer must reflect the exact same protocols in order for the network to function effectively. So, that's what I would check first.

If neither system properly reflects a network connection and that connection doesn't reflect the same protocols as the other...I would change that. That may mean using the Network Wizard again to set up the connection (which takes all of about 2 minutes). When asked for type of connection..."residential gateway" is what a router is.

Of course, it won't hurt to check Device Manager for drivers for the network devices, just to cover all basic bases.

My connections reflect the following when I click on Properties: Client for MS Networks, File & Printer Sharing for MS Networks, QoS Packet Scheduler, my firewall, NWLink NetBIOS, NWLink IPX, etc...and TCP/IP. You may not necessarily reflect all of those...just try to ensure that what is reflected for the system that works/connects...is what you set up in the system that doesn't.

My two NWLink entries are probably not needed by you. I found out, by trial-and-error, that I need those to facilitate communication between my systems, although I had previously been told that I didn't reuire these for my net to work properly :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2008 - 04:39 AM

You add any computer to a home network...by running the XP Network Wizard, ensuring that all computers belong to the same workgroup (MS Home is the default and works, but any name would do).

AFAIK, SP2 and SP3 should not affect your home network. I have two systems and ran one on Computer A and the other on Computer B for a time...no problems noted.

The home network is the key...and each computer must reflect the exact same protocols in order for the network to function effectively. So, that's what I would check first.

If neither system properly reflects a network connection and that connection doesn't reflect the same protocols as the other...I would change that. That may mean using the Network Wizard again to set up the connection (which takes all of about 2 minutes). When asked for type of connection..."residential gateway" is what a router is.

Of course, it won't hurt to check Device Manager for drivers for the network devices, just to cover all basic bases.

My connections reflect the following when I click on Properties: Client for MS Networks, File & Printer Sharing for MS Networks, QoS Packet Scheduler, my firewall, NWLink NetBIOS, NWLink IPX, etc...and TCP/IP. You may not necessarily reflect all of those...just try to ensure that what is reflected for the system that works/connects...is what you set up in the system that doesn't.

My two NWLink entries are probably not needed by you. I found out, by trial-and-error, that I need those to facilitate communication between my systems, although I had previously been told that I didn't reuire these for my net to work properly :thumbsup:.

Louis

Thanks Louis: I ran the network setup wizard, got the Host to see the Client in a workgroup, got the client to get an internet connection. But the client computer loses internet connection in three or four minutes? I will try today additional information you have graciously provided, thanks again, audioAl over an out.
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:00 AM

Keep us posted :thumbsup:.

There are a number of persons here who can provide better assistance at this sort of thing than I can...I don't know if the wireless setup involves more than I have mentioned.

Louis

#7 wildchild2

wildchild2

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:59 PM

Hi,
I had trouble with my printer on my network.
Have a read of this thread-- http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/126483/adding-a-network-printer/ -- specifically Tomo2's reply--it might be of some help.

Good luck with it, mine now works really well.

Edited by wildchild2, 15 August 2008 - 09:00 PM.

Posted Image

Custom Desktop,Intel Core2 Duo, GeForce 8400 Graphics,Vista Home, 2Gb ram, 160Gb & 250Gb Sata HDDs, Triple Monitors, Belkin keyboard and mouse, Avast Free, Compaq Laptop, Firefox browser, Thunderbird email, HP C5380 All-in-one Printer,Speedtouch Modem,Netgear Router, ADSL Broadband, Fuji Digital Camera.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users