Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Space Shrinking

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PratikDaga

PratikDaga

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 13 August 2008 - 10:58 AM

My System Configuration

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** Operating System ***
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows Version: Windows XP (5.1.2600) Professional
Latest Service Pack Installed: Service Pack 2
*** Common Devices ***

Processor Name: Intel® Pentium® D CPU 2.66GHz
Videocard Name: Intel® 82865G Graphics Controller
Installed Memory: 503.21 MB
Default Printer: Samsung ML-1610 Series

75 GB Hard Drive
FAT32 File system

My Hard Disk free space is constantly reducing. In past 3 weeeks it has reduced to about 25 GB and now i only have 2 GB left.

The problem is: On selecting all the files inside the partitions ( I have 4 partitions) the free space on summing up reaches nearly 35 GB. but on seeing the properties from right click context menu, the sum total of free space falls to nearly 2 gb on all the 4 partitions( the total free space on my computer is now only 2 gigs ).

Actual used space on C: drive ( MAX capacity 14.6 GB) = 8.44 GB
Used space in Context menu properties shows =14.3 GB

Actual used space on D: drive ( MAX capacity 19.5 GB) = 10.2 GB
Used space in Context menu properties shows = 19 GB

Actual used space on E: drive ( MAX capacity 19.5 GB) = 4.99 GB
Used space in Context menu properties shows = 18.8 GB

Actual used space on F: drive ( MAX capacity 20.7 GB) = 1.73 GB
Used space in Context menu properties shows = 19.9 GB

I have tried clearing all the restore points ( except latest one) on all the partitions but still no solution.

One more interesting fact about my hard drive is that if i put a file with size 1 GB on any of my partition and remove immediately after copying ( flush through recycle bin), the free space info on Context menu properties of the partition reduces by only 90 MB or nearly 100 MB rather than reducing by 1 GB.

Plz help me get rid of this problem as i won't have a computer lasting a week more! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 13 August 2008 - 12:25 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

I've found that deleted files...don't automatically result in additional hard drive space...until the Recycle Bin is emptied.

Do you have any Symantec products installed?

When a user runs chkdsk /r (Start/Run...type chkdsk /r exactly as shown, with space between the k and /) on any partition, it does a check of the free space, among other things. I would suggest running this on each of your partitions, after you dumped the Recycle Bin...you should get an accurate count then.

Free space will fluctuate from moment to moment...if users employ System Restore and pagefile. Everybody needs a pagefile. Users who use a disk-imaging program don't need to use System Restore, but it's a necessity (IMO) for users who don't backup their system.

And...you may want to consider getting rid of the hiberfil.sys file on your system, How can I remove the hiberfil.sys file from my system - http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/Articl...7585/27585.html

Louis

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 13 August 2008 - 05:06 PM

You could try using SequoiaView to see what's taking up all your hard drive space.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 PratikDaga

PratikDaga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2008 - 01:56 AM

Thanks for suggestions and ur time but still can't help my self.
The free space has fallen to 600 MB (50 mb on C: drive).
Please I need more suggestions as my problem is still not solved.

And to inform everyone i am NOT USINGa Symantec product

#5 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 15 August 2008 - 05:00 AM

use SequoiaView as linked above to find the files. Have a look for big directories. This seems like a file on the system is increasing it's size everyday so look for large files that are not Pagefile.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#6 PratikDaga

PratikDaga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:13 AM

File size is not a problem for me. The total file size on my partition is way less than what computer thinks. I have cleared and deleted all the wasteful files but unable to gain space. After deleting files worth 4 or 5 GB I gain only 200-300 MB free space.
This is the main problem that computer does't show my actual free space & used space properly.

#7 WiR3D

WiR3D

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:32 AM

I would suggest running the windows disk cleanup program and deleting all temporary files. I had this issue a while ago with temp files just taking up space on my server and had this issue with a computer using Photoshop. I would also run chkdsk aswell for when you boot up that way it can fix whatever errors you have and may also help with the loss of space. -- Just my 2 cents

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,126 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:36 AM

At this point, you don't have enough free space on the boot partition for Windows to function effectively.

You need to move some data files (movies, graphics, etc.) from the boot partition...to another partition. Move enough files so that you have approximately 15-20% free space on the boot drive.

Then run chkdsk /r on the boot partition.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users