Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton Internet Security 2004 problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Swampy

Swampy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 19 April 2005 - 11:46 AM

In the last two days I have started getting LOADS of notifications from my Norton Internet Security of attempts to access my PC although the statistics on NIS say that there have been no attacks ??!!
It is becoming a real annoyance having to tell it to block each one of these attacks as the alert pops up. The Auto Block feature is on. How can I set this thing to block the attacks without bothering to ask me if it is OK. Also why would the alleged attacks not show up in the Stats section? And why has it only just started doing this?
Any help / advice much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 igonuts2

igonuts2

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 19 April 2005 - 06:49 PM

Swampy,

it would be helpful to the staff here, to give them some basic info.

they almost always ask

operating system?
other security programs?, in case of conflicts

also,
are you sure its NIS 2004?

after all it is 2005. Norton may simply be advising you that you are not uppdated and are vulnerable to such attacts.

just helping,

igo

my other pc sez 2004 also, and its up to date. mmmmm

Edited by igonuts2, 20 April 2005 - 02:21 AM.

Why work when you can play!

#3 Swampy

Swampy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2005 - 06:14 AM

igo,

I keep it upto date via live update, guess the 2004 is just because that is the package I originally bought.

Operating system is XP Pro. Problem is still ongoing but on further investigation it appears as though it might be something on my own machine causing the alerts, is this possible? If so how can I identify what is causing the problem?

I have tried querying on Symantecs site but cannot phrase the question to get a relevant answer from their help system!!

Other security type progs are Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, Norton AntiVirus (part of NIS package).

All help very much appreciated.

Edited by Swampy, 20 April 2005 - 06:17 AM.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2005 - 09:49 AM

It would help if you posted the info that the alert is giving you. Perhaps a screenshot of the alert or just whatever it tells you.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users