Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Disk

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 utopian86

utopian86

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 13 August 2008 - 10:01 AM

Will hard disk spoil if we format it often?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 13 August 2008 - 10:24 AM

Hello utopian86,

In theory the hard disk shouldn't spoil if formatted often. Hard disks have very long life spans and only degrade during intensive disk operations. It is more likely that playing a graphically intensive game for a few hours would do more harm to the drive.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 13 August 2008 - 10:33 AM

The most harm you can do to a drive is to have data stored on it for a very long period of time as this will magnetically etch itself into those sectors on the drive. This is then very difficult to ever remove from a system completey and can cause bad sectors.

However the disk will not suffer from having a regular format this could prove a overkill task to maintain disk life.

I would not worry about the damage to a disk from formating. This is actually very good for it.

I hope this helps.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#4 utopian86

utopian86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 13 August 2008 - 10:42 AM

i see,
thanks for the information.
I had a friend who always format his hard drive when he got infected by virus.
I told him that formating often might spoil the hard disk.
Probably i shouldn't told him that.
hehe

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 13 August 2008 - 12:39 PM

You might suggest to your friend...that it's far simpler to some...to just install a free firewall (or use the Windows firewall), a free, reliable antivirus program, a couple of spyware/adware programs (also free)...than reformat every time a system becomes infected :thumbsup:.

You might have him read this: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,273614,00.html and note that was over a year ago and chances are that the percentage has increased.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users