Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nwn And Vista

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 13 August 2008 - 05:55 AM

Can someone please help me to get Neverwinter Nights Diamond to run under Vista? I have searched the NWN forums and haven't found anything useful. There were cryptic references to "affinity" but that's about all I saw that was different from other advice I have seen and tried (run as administrator, set compatibility - I have tried them all - etc.).

What is this mysterious "affinity" and what does it do? I'm not a newbie; if someone could just explain what it is and how to change it I could probably figure it out for myself.

Step-by-step instructions for just running the game would be preferred, though. :thumbsup:

Here are some specs:

System

Property Value

Manufacturer HP-Pavilion
Product Name GX776AAR-ABA a6342p

Chassis Desktop
PC System Type Desktop
Machine Type AT/AT COMPATIBLE
UUID E6DA0CC4-FE74-11D5-85F8-890DBF335B04

Disk Space Disk C: 290 GB Available, 363 GB Total, 290 GB Free

Physical Memory 3062 MB Total, 2384 MB Free
Memory Load 22%

Virtual Memory 6312 MB Total, 5326 MB Free

PageFile Name \??\C:\pagefile.sys
PageFile Size 3362 MB
In use 355 MB
Max used 522 MB

Minimum File Cache Size 1 MBytes
Maximum File Cache Size 2052 MBytes

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU

Property Value

Number of CPU(s) One Physical Processor / 2 Cores / 2 Logical Processors / 64 bits
Vendor GenuineIntel
CPU Full Name Intel Pentium DC
CPU Name Intel® Pentium® Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00GHz
CPU Code Name Conroe-1M

CPU Family / Model / Stepping 6 / F / D
Cache 32 KB L1 I-Cache, 32 KB L1 D-Cache, 1024 KB L2 Cache
Instructions MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, EM64T, XD, MSR, SpeedStep
Architecture x86

Edited by MattV, 13 August 2008 - 05:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:25 PM

Hi, read this forum post as there looks to be a patch to get it to run in Vista http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.ht...89&forum=87
MCP
MSDST

#3 MattV

MattV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:33 AM

There isn't a patch yet.

I'd still like to know what processor "affinity" means. This machine has a duo-core processor. It can be forced to use only a single side of the processor through msconfig. Question: since this computer is running :thumbsup: Vista. would forcing it to use only one processor screw something else up too badly to fix?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users