Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hjt: Fake Antivirus Program Restricts Web Access

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 niklas wijkander

niklas wijkander

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:38 AM

Hello,
This is my first post, and I know very little about computers. I downloaded a fake Antivirus program a couple of days ago. The result was
1. constant popups saying my files were infected and links to a payment screen. Names that I can remember included: Vista Antivirus, Virusremover2008, PcPrivacy. There was one more that I cannot recall.
2. changed desktop background to red with a huge virus sign in the middle.
3. altered what is accessible when I press the "start" button. For example, I could no longer access "all programs" and several other items.
4. internet access became restricted. Crucially, none of the proper antivirus websites were accessible, and even if I managed to download an anti-spyware program, it was unable to get the latest online updates because the links to websites were blocked.

After reading lots of blogs, I ran all of the following several times and had many files cleaned out: Ad Aware, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, SmitfraudFix, CCleaner, and AVG Antispyware.

The result was that I no longer got the popup messages, the desktop color went back to normal, and when I press the "Start" button I get the proper functions. However, (a) I don't know what is still on my computer, and (:thumbsup: I know that there is still something because I still cannot access security-websites (see issue 4 above).

I then ran Trend Micro Hijack This, but I don't know which of the files are suspicious or how to find if they are suspicious. So I thought I'd just post the log here and ask if anyone on the HJT team could help me find out what is the problem and what my next steps should be.

Many thanks for your help,
Niklas

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 23:56:22, on 12/08/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16674)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ibmpmsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\IPSSVC.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\InterVideo\RegMgr\iviRegMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
c:\program files\lenovo\system update\suservice.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Lenovo\tvt_reg_monitor_svc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\TPHDEXLG.exe
C:\Program Files\Lenovo\Rescue and Recovery\rrpservice.exe
C:\Program Files\Lenovo\Rescue and Recovery\rrservice.exe
c:\Program Files\Common Files\Lenovo\Scheduler\tvtsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Lenovo\Rescue and Recovery\ADM\IUService.exe
C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\ConnectUtilities\AcSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Lenovo\Logger\logmon.exe
C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\ConnectUtilities\SvcGuiHlpr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Lenovo\NPDIRECT\TPFNF7SP.exe
C:\Program Files\Lenovo\HOTKEY\TPOSDSVC.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TpShocks.exe
C:\Program Files\Lenovo\HOTKEY\TPONSCR.exe
C:\Program Files\Lenovo\Zoom\TpScrex.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\UTILIT~1\EzEjMnAp.Exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxsrvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Lenovo\Scheduler\scheduler_proxy.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe
C:\Program Files\Lenovo\AwayTask\AwaySch.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\THINKV~1\PrdCtr\LPMGR.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\THINKV~1\AMSG\amsg.exe
C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\ConnectUtilities\ACTray.exe
C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\ConnectUtilities\ACWLIcon.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\Dot1XCfg.exe
C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\Bluetooth Software\BTTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - c:\program files\yahoo!\companion\installs\cpn\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - c:\program files\yahoo!\companion\installs\cpn\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\DLA\DLASHX_W.DLL
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - c:\program files\yahoo!\companion\installs\cpn\yt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PWRMGRTR] rundll32 C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\UTILIT~1\PWRMGRTR.DLL,PwrMgrBkGndMonitor
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BLOG] rundll32 C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\UTILIT~1\BatLogEx.DLL,StartBattLog
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TPFNF7] C:\Program Files\Lenovo\NPDIRECT\TPFNF7SP.exe /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TPHOTKEY] C:\Program Files\Lenovo\HOTKEY\TPOSDSVC.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TpShocks] TpShocks.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EZEJMNAP] C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\UTILIT~1\EzEjMnAp.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAXPnP] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAX] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\Smax4.exe /tray
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Persistence] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TVT Scheduler Proxy] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Lenovo\Scheduler\scheduler_proxy.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DLA] C:\WINDOWS\System32\DLA\DLACTRLW.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\ISUSPM.exe -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AwaySch] C:\Program Files\Lenovo\AwayTask\AwaySch.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LPManager] C:\PROGRA~1\THINKV~1\PrdCtr\LPMGR.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AMSG] C:\PROGRA~1\THINKV~1\AMSG\amsg.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ACTray] C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\ConnectUtilities\ACTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ACWLIcon] C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\ConnectUtilities\ACWLIcon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec PIF AlertEng] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe" /a /m "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\AlertEng.dll"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [\Win169.exe] C:\Windows\system32\Win169.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [\Win16A.exe] C:\Windows\system32\Win16A.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [\Win16B.exe] C:\Windows\system32\Win16B.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [\Win16C.exe] C:\Windows\system32\Win16C.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [\Win16D.exe] C:\Windows\system32\Win16D.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!AVG Anti-Spyware] "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe" /minimized
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [\Win169.exe] C:\Windows\system32\Win169.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [\Win16A.exe] C:\Windows\system32\Win16A.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [\Win16B.exe] C:\Windows\system32\Win16B.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [\Win16C.exe] C:\Windows\system32\Win16C.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [\Win16D.exe] C:\Windows\system32\Win16D.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [s9201] "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Secure Solutions\Antispyware 2008 XP\as2008xp.exe" /autorun
O4 - Global Startup: Bluetooth.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Send to &Bluetooth Device... - C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie_ctx.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shoc...ash/swflash.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: ACNotify - ACNotify.dll (file missing)
O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: Access Connections Main Service (AcSvc) - Lenovo - C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\ConnectUtilities\AcSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - GRISOFT s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
O23 - Service: Bluetooth Service (btwdins) - Broadcom Corporation. - C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® PROSet/Wireless Event Log (EvtEng) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: ThinkPad PM Service (IBMPMSVC) - Lenovo - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ibmpmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1150\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: IPS Core Service (IPSSVC) - Lenovo Group Limited - C:\WINDOWS\system32\IPSSVC.EXE
O23 - Service: IviRegMgr - InterVideo - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InterVideo\RegMgr\iviRegMgr.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate Notice Service Ex (LiveUpdate Notice Ex) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate Notice Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® PROSet/Wireless Registry Service (RegSrvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® PROSet/Wireless Service (S24EventMonitor) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
O23 - Service: System Update (SUService) - - c:\program files\lenovo\system update\suservice.exe
O23 - Service: ThinkVantage Registry Monitor Service - Lenovo Group Limited - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Lenovo\tvt_reg_monitor_svc.exe
O23 - Service: ThinkPad HDD APS Logging Service (TPHDEXLGSVC) - Lenovo. - C:\WINDOWS\System32\TPHDEXLG.exe
O23 - Service: TVT Backup Protection Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Lenovo\Rescue and Recovery\rrpservice.exe
O23 - Service: TVT Backup Service - Lenovo Group Limited - C:\Program Files\Lenovo\Rescue and Recovery\rrservice.exe
O23 - Service: TVT Scheduler - Lenovo Group Limited - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Lenovo\Scheduler\tvtsched.exe
O23 - Service: tvtnetwk - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Lenovo\Rescue and Recovery\ADM\IUService.exe

--
End of file - 11576 bytes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Carolyn

Carolyn

Bleepin' kitten

• Members
  • 2,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 24 August 2008 - 09:35 AM

Hello and Welcome to the forums!

My name is Carolyn and I'll be glad to help you with your computer problems. HijackThis logs can take some time to research, so please be patient with me. I know that you need your computer working as quickly as possible, and I will work hard to help see that it happens.

Please do not run any other tool untill instructed to do so!
Please reply to this thread, do not start another!
Please tell me about any problems that have occurred during the fix.
Please tell me of any other symptoms you may be having as these can help also.
Please try as much as possible not to run anything while executing a fix.

If you follow these instructions, everything should go smoothly.

I am sorry that we were unable to reply to your post sooner. The forums have been very busy.

If you are still in need of assistance, please scan again with HijackThis and post a fresh log.

Also, please make an uninstall list using HijackThis
To access the Uninstall Manager you would do the following:

1. Start HijackThis
2. Click on the Config button
3. Click on the Misc Tools button
4. Click on the Open Uninstall Manager button.
5. Click on the Save list... button and specify where you would like to save this file. When you press Save button a notepad will open with the contents of that file. Simply copy and paste the contents of that notepad here in your next reply.

Post the fresh HijackThis log and the uninstall list in the body of your next reply.
Member of ASAP (Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users