Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mbr/booting Problem With Multiple Symptoms

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Gabisonfire

Gabisonfire

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:26 AM

Ok. Here I start;

First Symptom is that when I boot, let's say about 1 time on 10 boots, I get the Windows Xp boot screen but it is darker than usual and nothing goes I have to reboot again using the reset switch and I get the boot menu asking which way I want to start Xp and I usually select Start Windows Normally and everything goes ok. Ok... this is maybe not a big problems but it really bugs me and maybe it is related to my other problem.

Trying to solve this problem, I thought it could be my MBR. So I tried fixing it from the recovery console but when I type fixmbr, windows tells me that my mbr is either damaged or corrupted. I choose yes to fix it but if i reboot and boot WinRecConsole again and type in fixmbr, windows still tells me that I have a non-standard or corrupted mbr. Also tried fixboot and also tried to fix mbr with a third-party software ( Partition Table Doctor ). Also tried to fix mbr on my 3 hdds using fixmbr /device/harddisk0 1 2 3 ...

The other symptom is that when this strange boot happens, I usually have a problem with some application already installed and newly installed. As here it's Acronis True Image and Fruity Loops Studio 8. What happens is that when I launch the application, the FL.exe or TrueImage.exe appears in the process window but the application won't launch. I also tried opening more than one and they all open in the process but nothing comes up on the screen.

I'm thinking of formatting my C: drive but I did once and the problem was still there. My bios are up to date and all my drivers should but I will double-check those to make sure. I tried searching many forums for similar problems but I did not get anything concrete.

Thanks for your interest! :thumbsup:

Here's a dxdiag... thought this could help.

Attached Files

Gabisonfire - Habs all the way!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,536 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 13 August 2008 - 11:37 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

The blurb from the Recovery Console about the fixmbr command...is standard. Every time I've used that command, I've seen it. It's cautionary/informative in content, but no reason not to run the fixmbr command.

I have no idea what you are talking about when you refer to fixing MBRs on other hard drives. Unless those drives are boot drives, they should not even have an MBR...so I don't know what you are attempting to "fix".

As a general rule...I don't try to compound my system problems when I'm trying to fix them. That means that when I have a problem and I have my normal 4/5 other hard drives connected...I disconnect all of them except for the boot drive. I then try to solve whatever problem is on that drive and then move on to see if I have problems on any of the other drives.

I would suggest that you do that (remove any other hard drives) and just focus on dealing with the C: drive (for now).

In general, if you have formatted a drive and done a clean install on same...and you still have a problem that appeared on a previous install...the problem may not relate to that drive or your boot drive may have problems which need attention.

Sooo...your C: drive boots into XP correctly? Do you currently have any hiccup with the system booting? It's hard to follow your post, since you refer to this and that...I just want to know what happens right now when you try to boot the system...and you have only the C: drive and the optical drive properly connected.

Thanks.

Louis

#3 Gabisonfire

Gabisonfire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:49 PM

Ok,

I was hoping that this was a common problem with the recovery console.

Ok actually the main symptoms are:

1. When I boot, approx. 1 time out of 10, the Windows XP boot screen is darker than usual and the bar is not even scrolling and nothing happens, I have to reboot again using the reset switch.

2. After that, I beleive, some apps aren't running when I click on their shortcut. The process will appear in the task manager but the application is not launching.

I'd really like to solve the problem before I format. But if I have to, I'll try disconnecting other drives.

Sorry If my first post is a little confusing, I'm from Quebec wich is a french country so actually I speak french all the time. I'm trying my best ;)

Edited by Gabisonfire, 13 August 2008 - 02:50 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 03:56 PM

Don't worry about the language difficulties - we'll work our way through them.

Try running a diagnostic program on your hard drive(s). One should be available for free from the manufacturer of the drive. If you can't locate it, post back and we'll have a go at it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,536 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 04:04 PM

No problem, I often forget that it's a world-wide forum and post/act as if whomever I'm addressing lives down the street :thumbsup:.

I think it's imperative that you disconnect those other drives as a first step. Then we can go about trying to correct whatever is wrong with the boot and those drives should have nothing to do with that...unless you have other operating systems installed on same and are multi-booting.

Temporary disconnection won't harm them at all and they won't obsure our search.

<<...and the bar is not even scrolling and nothing happens>>

To me, that indicates a problem loading a driver. I guess that I think that getting to the Windows screen eliminates anything going wrong with the POST routine.

http://www.geocities.com/asoke_dasgupta/boot-xp.html

I've skipped over considering several key Windows processes that you can diagrammed/summarized. I don't consider these because it seems that you get beyond the point where any of them would cause havoc.

...and I could be wrong :flowers:.

But let's stick with the drivers, for the moment. The fact that you can get the driver (if it is a driver) to load by rebooting...kind of throws me for a loop. But I don't claim to understand everything about a system, so we'll just accept that.

The BIG problem...how to determine what driver is causing a momentary problem. There are all sorts of drivers in XP which load...I don't know of a way to figure out which (if any) is the culprit...without an error message of some sort.

So, since your system boots, let's take a look in Event Viewer for obvious clues. I don't think we'll have much luck, but no harm in trying.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Let's see if you can list pertinent data for the last 5 errors that might appear on the System tab. Pertinent data would be:

Source and Event/Event ID from the EV listing...and the Module (obtained by double-clicking on the individual error and looking at the data displayed).

At this point, I am totally out of my league and hope that someone with more knowledge, etc. can step in here :trumpet:.

Louis

#6 Gabisonfire

Gabisonfire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 04:40 PM

Ok,
Here's what I found that should be pertinent in the Event Viewer:
6 times on the day the problem happened:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Disk
Event Category: None
Event ID: 51
Date: 09/08/2008
Time: 3:37:23 AM
User: N/A
Computer: GABZPC
Description:
An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2\D during a paging operation.
Data:
0000: 03 00 68 00 01 00 b6 00 ..h...ļ.
0008: 00 00 00 00 33 00 04 80 ....3..€
0010: 2d 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 -.......
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 fe 00 c0 00 00 00 00 .ū.Ā....
0028: 87 10 02 00 00 00 00 00 ‡.......
0030: ff ff ff ff 03 00 00 00 ˙˙˙˙....
0038: 40 00 00 84 02 00 00 00 @..„....
0040: 00 20 0a 12 40 03 20 40 . ..@. @
0048: 00 00 00 00 0a 00 00 00 ........
0050: 00 00 00 00 c0 8d 3c 8a ....Ā<Š
0058: 00 00 00 00 48 8a 0e 8a ....HŠ.Š
0060: 00 00 00 00 7f 00 60 00 .....`.
0068: 28 00 00 60 00 7f 00 00 (..`...
0070: 08 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0078: 70 00 02 00 00 00 00 0a p.......
0080: 00 00 00 00 04 02 00 00 ........
0088: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

-

And the same day, I had tons of these:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event ID: 7000
Date: 09/08/2008
Time: 4:03:20 AM
Description:
The bdfdll service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

-

And these:

Event Source: Cdrom
Event ID: 11
Date: 10/08/2008
Time: 1:38:47 PM
Description:
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\CdRom1.
Data:
0000: 0f 04 68 00 01 00 b8 00 ..h...¸.
0008: 00 00 00 00 0b 00 04 c0 .......Ā
0010: 01 01 00 00 85 01 00 c0 ....…..Ā
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0028: 99 03 00 00 00 00 00 00 ™.......
0030: ff ff ff ff 00 00 00 00 ˙˙˙˙....
0038: 40 00 00 84 02 00 01 00 @..„....
0040: ff 20 0a 12 4c 01 00 00 ˙ ..L...
0048: 00 00 00 00 0a 00 00 00 ........
0050: 5c 39 d1 ba 08 1c 1c 8a \9Ņē...Š
0058: 00 00 00 00 70 ae 17 8a ....pŽ.Š
0060: 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0068: 25 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 %.......
0070: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0078: 70 00 04 00 00 00 00 0e p.......
0080: 00 00 00 00 08 03 00 00 ........
0088: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

-

This one 4 times after the problem on different days:

Event Source: usnjsvc
Event Category: (1)
Event ID: 12000
Date: 12/08/2008
Time: 6:03:39 AM
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 12000 ) in Source ( usnjsvc ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: -2147417831.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,536 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:18 PM

The EventID 51 error is the first one I'd be concerned with...unfortunately there are multiple causes/explanations for this error appearing.

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid...isk&phase=1

However, since that's concerned with HD2, it should not be a factor in booting right now...if you've removed such.

FWIW: When XP has a problem with a given device/drive, it can possibly cause boot problems.

The EventID 7000 Service Control Manager may be the result of your logon problems, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314357

The CD-ROM controller error bears watching, http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:X5zHrk...;cd=4&gl=us

Possible problem here: http://spywaredlls.prevx.com/RRFDIE44332779/USNJSVC.SYS.html I don't know what the full name of the reference in your EV file is, but I would definitely do all that I could to either confirm/refute the possibility of malware existing on the system. That is NOT an invitation to use the advertised product.

Do you have any of the Messenger programs installed/active on your system?

Louis

#8 Gabisonfire

Gabisonfire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2008 - 03:13 AM

Not really... I have WML Lite8.5

I'm really thinking of erasing my disk but I'm worried of making a backup of my Windows installation beacause I think the problem will persist.
For the CD Drives, I just bought a new ide cable for 5 dollars at Maddison ( wonder if you know this place ) I know it is cheap but I need a 34 inches cable because my system port is too far from my drives. Anyway i'll go for sata drives soon ( hehe).

I already formatted twice but i still had this problem.

I'm actually more worried about the exe problems. MY apps won't open but will appears in the task manager.

Thank you very much!

Don't worry about the language difficulties - we'll work our way through them.

Try running a diagnostic program on your hard drive(s). One should be available for free from the manufacturer of the drive. If you can't locate it, post back and we'll have a go at it.

I tried the one provided by seagate but it actually didn't do the job. You have a suggestion? ( free or not )

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:02 AM

What happened when you tried to run the Seagate tool? Normally it's a very reliable and easy to use tool.
This free program is easy to use, but won't provide as much in-depth info as the Seagate tool: http://www.hdtune.com/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 Gabisonfire

Gabisonfire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2008 - 11:54 AM

Well I ran the scans and My Western digital passed the test. My seagate drive passed it too and the log was generated telling me to type DIR *.log at the command prompt. I'm not really sure of what that means.

Now I'm trying to run WebEasy Pro and when I launch the shortcut, i get this error:
The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click ok to terminate the program.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2008 - 03:14 PM

Usually there's no need to look at the log if the drive passed the test.

The 0xc0000005 means that the error occurred in memory (in this case, it wasn't able to initialize in memory).

There's 2 things that I'd suggest here:
1) Uninstall WebEasy Pro, reboot, then download a fresh copy of it and install that
2) Try this free memory test to rule out issues with your memory: http://www.memtest86.com/

#12 Gabisonfire

Gabisonfire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2008 - 11:46 PM

Hey thanks really much dude.
I'm trying it right now.
What leads me to another problem.... again

When I run ImgBurn to burn the iso, it detects my drives but when i put in a CD, it tells me the disk is not empty. Actually it is and if i reboot and run Img Burn now everything works just fine.

I'm getting tired. Maybe it's my IDE cable?

#13 Gabisonfire

Gabisonfire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2008 - 01:58 AM

Ok
I did the memory test and everything is ok.
I'm gonna d/l a new version soon and I'll let you know.

For the info, my new IDE cable is 36 ijnches but has 4 Plugs all the same color (grey). Just wondering if it's normal.

Thanks!

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2008 - 06:15 PM

An IDE cable should have 3 plugs - 1 to go into the motherboard and 2 for IDE devices. I don't believe the IDE specification will accept another connector (or will work with it).

#15 Gabisonfire

Gabisonfire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2008 - 10:37 AM

Hmmm... That's what I thought.

I think I'll just wipe my drives.
Do you know any software that woule just REALLY erase my drives?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users