Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any Experience With "media Digitizer" Product?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dazedandconfused

dazedandconfused

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 12 August 2008 - 09:59 PM

I've been trying to find information on if/how cassettes can be made into MP3 files on my computer (Vista Home Premium). I've seen mention of freeware called AUDACITY, and a $17.00 product called MEDIA DIGITIZER. I'm usually quite hesitant about freeware (unless I learn about it HERE that is.) :thumbsup: But, I'm not confident about other vendors either.

I'm kinda clueless about how to do this, but it appears that it should be do-able, much to my surprise. Does anyone have pros/cons about these products, or another one to recommend to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,709 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 13 August 2008 - 03:00 AM

What you should look for is to have the use of a cassette tape player with a line level output (not a speaker output).

There is a tutorial here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...StepByStep.aspx

based on microsoft software, but you can substitute alternative audio software, and Audacity certainly would be suitable:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

The detail will be different between the software, but the general procedure is the same.

Also, if you wanted to make a normal CD to play in a CD player, you would record the contents of the tape into a stereo 16bit 44.1KHz file (or files for multiple tracks), then burn those tracks to a music CD. (Up to 74 min per CD).

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 dazedandconfused

dazedandconfused
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 14 August 2008 - 04:05 PM

Thanks for the detailed info. :thumbsup: I'll give it a whirl...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users