Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Full Recovery Partition

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fluxx23

fluxx23

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:57 PM

I've got a computer I'm doing some diagnostic on and it appears as if the person has tried to back-up their computer to the Recovery partition and it is now annoying them with some rather annoying pop-ups telling them the drive is full. Out of 10gigs only 39mb remian.

The computer is HP Pavilion a6412p.

I would like to know which files belong on this partition and if there are any that would be safe to remove. Otherwise, I'm assuming there are some registry editing to do so that I can hide the symtom. Although I'd feel better fixing it rather than just hiding it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2008 - 10:48 PM

There's one small, Nay, large problem with this. The files there can differ
greatly from one manufacturer to another as well as from one PC to another.

You're better off just looking for the files that the person backed up. These are usually
Pictures, Music, Movies, and Office documents. Aside from the recovery partition being full,
what other issues are there?

If it's just the recovery partition squaking about free space, then you may want to advise them
about how to save documents elsewhere on the computer and live with the pop-ups. If the user
is not ok with this, and they usually aren't, back up what you can and wipe the pc clean.

By all means tell them about all of this before wiping their pc.

#3 hitmangold

hitmangold

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 13 August 2008 - 12:19 AM

Hi fluxx23,

You can clear all the files from the recovery partition leaving the Recovery folder.
You will get low disk space whenever backup operation is performed on the notebook.

For your reference please check the following link:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?docname=c00678180&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

#4 fluxx23

fluxx23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:40 AM

Thanks for the feedback! I have heard that this is a common problem with people, trying to backup their files and when prompted for a cd or dvd, they see the recovery partition and try to backup their files to it. A technician I spoke to with HP said they get a few calls about it a night.

I think I'll be taking the full system restore route.

#5 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 13 August 2008 - 01:23 PM

anything but this file,,
[attachment=7102:Capture.JPG]
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 03:15 PM

Nice link hitmangold! Thanks!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users