Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avir And Unprotected Mail

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 merellogalasso

merellogalasso

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:08 PM

I "have", by the moment, to use free issues. Is it an unfair behaviour only that free Avira doesn't protect mail, or is it also an important negative point as to be mandatory to leave it? So functioning is very fast and "reliable" but I suppose that the principal source of viruses are unexpected mails. Many thanks and regards.
"There are atoms and vacuum; the rest is opinion"
(Democritus, several centuries before Hume and Kant)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 12 August 2008 - 08:09 PM

I'd rather not comment on the unfairness of free Avira not scanning email. There is a reason it isn't included-they want you to purchase the Premium version in order to get all the features not included with the free version. It's their program, they can do whatever they want with it.
If scanning mail is important to you, there are other free programs you can try.
Personally, I find scanning annoying as I'm waiting on my mail to download-isp and other email providers already scan incoming mail. I've never had email scanning find something the provider scan missed. And I have never had an outgoing mail flagged when it has been scanned prior to being sent, although I know there are people with lax computer security who do need to have outgoing mail scanned. As for incoming mail, I am careful about opening attachments but again, there are people who are not. They are the ones who need full virus protection, assuming that the scanning process actually finds the bad in a mail.

A quick search of Avira's forum found this comment by a moderator:

"An Email scanner is provided with the Premium and Security Suite versions of AntiVir. Unfortunately, I can't say if this feature will be added to the Personal product anytime soon."

The topic I refer to can be found here:
http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=...p;postID=651608

#3 merellogalasso

merellogalasso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2008 - 11:26 PM

It's really moving to perceive the "relativism" applied to computation in favour to "freedom" and so on. An interesting kindly long answer that I thank very much. Wit respect to some contents inside this most attractive answer has to do with and advice that appeared a few telling that I was using a full performer version. No advice appears in any message as with other antiviruses; so this cannot be known. Actually I got just a bit of new knowledge but a lot of matter to enjoy as anthropologist. It seems that I should remain with Avira, am I? Many most sincere friendly regards and thanks :thumbsup:

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 12 August 2008 - 11:36 PM

It's your choice to either keep Avira or find something else. No one here will tell you what you "should" do. Only you can make that decision. If you are satisfied with it, then keep it. If you want something that scans your email, then try other options.

#5 merellogalasso

merellogalasso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 12:03 AM

Dear, are you inside of the mind of every member? What is the purpose of this forum if not to ask for advice. Thanks.

It's your choice to either keep Avira or find something else. No one here will tell you what you "should" do. Only you can make that decision. If you are satisfied with it, then keep it. If you want something that scans your email, then try other options.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 08:40 AM

It seems that I should remain with Avira, am I? Many most sincere friendly regards and thanks :thumbsup:

First of all, don't call me "dear".

I was simply responding to one statement you made in the form of a question.
You seem to already decided to stay with Avira, but by asking the way you did, it comes across like you are asking permission to keep it. And as I already stated, no one here will tell you what you "should" do. You asked for comments and suggestions and advice, and that is what I gave you.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 13 August 2008 - 08:40 AM.

#7 merellogalasso

merellogalasso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:39 PM

Obviously, "dear" is a cultural way of addressing an old man towards a youngster.I do not know you, and it's worst to admonish somebody you do not know than to call somebody "dear". For me, that am a psychiatrist your unfriendly behaviour is very eloquent. And, as matter of fact, do not admonish me. Keep yourself quiet and in "your place". :thumbsup: Bye, bye..., not dear at all...

It seems that I should remain with Avira, am I? Many most sincere friendly regards and thanks :flowers:

First of all, don't call me "dear".

I was simply responding to one statement you made in the form of a question.
You seem to already decided to stay with Avira, but by asking the way you did, it comes across like you are asking permission to keep it. And as I already stated, no one here will tell you what you "should" do. You asked for comments and suggestions and advice, and that is what I gave you.

#8 merellogalasso

merellogalasso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:41 PM

NOBODY ASKS FOR ADVICE IF HE OR SHE IS NOT GOING TO FOLLOW IT. AT LEAST, NOBODY CAN SPEAK FOR OTHER ONES. THIS IS NOT THE CHAMBER OF REPRESENTATIVES...

Edited by merellogalasso, 13 August 2008 - 07:42 PM.

#9 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:54 PM

In many parts of the world, and in formal practice and discourse, the use of the word "dear" is considered patronising, if not a form of sexual harassment, and properly extended only to people one knows well. One can only assume its use here was either caused by an unidiomatic translation or by the assumption that a local custom of address and speech was applicable generally elsewhere.

I would appreciate your not telling a valued staff member, who gave you good advice in a sincere effort to help you, to "keep yourself quiet and 'in your place'." This is inflammatory and completely unacceptable at BC.

This thread is now closed.
John
Global Moderator

Edited by jgweed, 13 August 2008 - 08:13 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users