Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Laptop Display Problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Davy49

Davy49

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 12 August 2008 - 01:45 PM

Hello All,
I've posted this topic in a different forum, and nobody seemed to be able to help me, so I thought I'd try here. I use a Acer Aspire 5100-3357 laptop, with ms windows vista sp1 installed. It's got ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 graphics installed on it, of course it's got a rgb out connector on it. What I've never been able to do since I've owned it is to view my video out signal on my vizio L32 lcd television. I've hooked up a different computer ( desktop ) to this same tv without ANY problems. But when I try to do so with my acer laptop, the image on the tv starts cycling off and on, and then alternates back and forth between my laptop and tv, and then stops and just stays on my laptop. Does anyone have any suggestions for me to try ? My laptop has some software installed from the factory such as ' acer gridvista ', along with installed software from ATI.
Thanks SO much ,
David :huh:

Mod Edit~ Moved, as per the member's request.
Pandy~
Forum Moderator

Edited by Pandy, 12 August 2008 - 02:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:04 PM

Most likely you'll have to review the manual for your TV and see what display resolutions/frequencies that it supports. Then check to see if your laptop's video card can provide that resolution/frequency.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Davy49

Davy49
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:35 PM

Dear usasma,
It seems like I already did that, but thanks for the suggestion..I will check that again.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2008 - 05:24 PM

From the description that you gave, the TV isn't recognizing the signal from the laptop - so most likely it's the laptop signal that's not in sync with the TV's requirments.

Can you hook it up to a computer monitor to see if it works there?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Davy49

Davy49
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2008 - 05:59 PM

Dear usasma,
I've already done that, and it works fine...thanks for suggesting it !!

#6 Davy49

Davy49
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:08 PM

Dear usasma,

Here's a link to my vizio tv : http://www.vizio.com/productDetails.aspx?i...50&pid=1698
David

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:51 PM

Here's a link to the User Manual ( http://www.vizio.com/assets/0/92/94/120/ea...dfd9bbd4bdd.pdf ) Please take a look at the note at the bottom of page 29 and ensure that your settings are set that way.

If they are and you still can't get a picture - then there's either an issue with your computer's output or with the TV's input. Testing the laptop with a computer monitor will tell you if the computer is good for viewing on a computer monitor - which is slightly different from a TV (FWIW - I've got a 32" Sharp Aquous for my monitor and it works just fine. But the adjustment is a bit screwy since i'm using DVI to HDMI cables rather than the RGB).

#8 Davy49

Davy49
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2008 - 06:00 AM

Hello All,
Just a quick update with my latest attempt to try once again to hookup my acer laptop to my vizio L32 lcd monitor. I followed the instructions in my vizio manual EXACTLY as to what to set the display on my laptop, ( 1200 x 768 @ 60 hz. ) . That still didn't correct my problem...I think what 'bugs' me the most is that when I connect my laptop to a regular computer monitor, my laptop automatically recognizes it, and displays correctly. It seems like there MUST be something that can be done to correct this problem, I've tried everything I know & that was suggested to me in here. Thanks so much for trying to help me !!

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2008 - 06:10 AM

Since the signal is OK when you use a computer monitor, it's safe to assume that the PC is working correctly.
That only leaves the cable or the TV to blame. Trying another cable should help to rule out the cable. Beyond that it'd have to be a TV issue - and I've got no ideas on what to do there (I still have the kids program my remotes and VCR/DVD Players).

If the TV has different inputs (mine has HDMI, USB, and RGB(VGA)) you might try them to help rule out the input as an issue.

Good luck!

Edited by usasma, 30 August 2008 - 06:11 AM.

#10 Davy49

Davy49
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 05:40 AM

Dear usasma,
This problem has really got me bugged..I feel rather helpless as to what's causing this, as I'm not one to give up easily...I'll keep trying to I discover how to correct this.
Thanks,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users