Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost In Space (almost)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 fgross120

fgross120

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 12 August 2008 - 01:15 PM

Yesterday morning I was about to delete the bulk files from my Yahoo email account. I saw a couple of emails from "CNN personal updates" or somthing like that. Since I was not sure that I had actually subscribed, I wanted to unsubscribe to lessen the bulk spam. When I opened the email, there was a link for a "kidnapped lotto winner in Massachusettes (I think)." The link said I needed to update my Adobe flashplayer, so I went to Adobe and downloaded the newest player.

The video never opened, after several tries, but by then I was infected with Antivirus XP 2008. Blue desktop, no desktop/screensaver tabs. etc. It also corrupted some of my Yahoo browser, so I tried reinstalling, twice, then uninstalling Yahoo entirely, and switched to IE to download various scanners. I have since fixed most of the problems, but two remain: I no longer have access to Internet options via IE7, and Spybot continues to find the same several problems on every scan.

In my reasearch, the IE problem seemed to be related to the Spybot, since I am the administrator that the error message keeps saying to contact, except that it started before I downloaded Spybot, so I doubt it is the cause. I had downloaded IE7 in an effort to remove the Internet Options restrictions, but they are still restricted. When I reloaded Yahoo, it asked me if I wanted to set it as the default browser, and since I thought it was only going to apply to Yahoo, I selected that option. I have not tried to uninstall Yahoo again, to see if it would fix the IE7 restrictions. I have also looked at the HKEY ... files, but there is no "Internet Explorer" file where the online peeps say it should be, so no 1 or 0 to change.

I forgot to add that all of this also somehow deleted all of my system restore points, which was one of the first fixes I tried. I figure when everything is fixed, I will set a restore point then, in case it happens again. I had allowed maximum disk space for the restore utility, but the only current restore point I can access is after the problems started.

I have listed below, in no particular order, the things I have done to try to fix this mess. (My previously installed Norton Online, and Windows Defender did not find any problems.)

1. Downloaded a "kelly-something ... registry tweak: fixed the missing desktop/screensaver tabs.

2. Downloaded AdAware (Lavasoft): found and fixed some of the junk.

3. Downloaded MS Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool: scanned, but I am not sure if it found/fixed anything.

4. Downloaded Spybot: continues to find the same several problems, as listed below:

Zango.ShoppingReport: [SBI $DEDC9F30] IE toolbar (Registry value, nothing done)
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2052111302-813497703-1343024091-1003\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\WebBrowser\{90B8B761-DF2B-48AC-BBE0-BCC03A819B3B}

Smitfraud-C.gp: [SBI $007E86EF] Settings (Registry value, nothing done)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ShellServiceObjectDelayLoad\hjoqor

Smitfraud-C.gp: [SBI $05A36410] Settings (Registry value, nothing done)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ShellServiceObjectDelayLoad\xcvwer

Right Media: Tracking cookie (Internet Explorer: Forrest) (Cookie, nothing done)

I found each of these results in the registry, but have done nothing to them, for fear of creating more problems, however, whenever Spybot asks my permission for important registry changes, I have been allowing the change, since they were each listed as "Spybot deletes" that I assumed were the attempted Spybot fixes for the junk above.

5. Downloaded Trend Micro Hijackthis v2.0.2: created notepad log file of scan, but did not check or remove anything. All of it looks legitimate considering all of the above stuff I have downloaded since yesterday. Below is the log from that program. I realize this post is akin to "War and Peace," but maybe you guys will see something and say "aha!

It has taken me over an hour to write this post, while doing scans, etc. The reason I wanted IE7 Internet Options was to set the homepage to the online college website we use for school, since Yahoo kicks me off off that site, but IE lets me stay after login. I was able to accomplish this via the control panel Internet Options, but I cannot do it from IE7. And I guess I am OK with the other stuff that Spybot finds on every scan, even after a "fix," but again, I want to be able to do a scan that comes back completely "clean." If any of you can help, it would make my day. I have two semesters of nursing school left, and rely heavily on my laptop for study, assignments, email, etc. The semester starts soon! Thanks.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 11:59:22 AM, on 8/12/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16674)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\S24EvMon.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AppCore\AppSvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZCfgSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\1XConfig.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\brsvc01a.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\brss01a.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Small Business\Business Contact Manager\BcmSqlStartupSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\RegSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlwriter.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\browser\ybrwicon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\YOP\yop.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\browser\ycommon.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\YOP\SSDK02.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\ybrowser.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://safesearch.cyberdefender.com/smallsearch.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = https://my.commnet.edu/cp/home/displaylogin
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/...//www.yahoo.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {3049C3E9-B461-4BC5-8870-4C09146192CA} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! IE Services Button - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: SidebarAutoLaunch Class - {F2AA9440-6328-4933-B7C9-A6CCDF9CBF6D} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\YSidebarIEBHO.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec PIF AlertEng] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe" /a /m "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\AlertEng.dll"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [YBrowser] C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\browser\ybrwicon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [YOP] C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\YOP\yop.exe /autostart
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [DWQueuedReporting] "C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\DW\dwtrig20.exe" -t (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [DWQueuedReporting] "C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\DW\dwtrig20.exe" -t (User 'Default user')
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: AT&T Yahoo! Services - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {01A88BB1-1174-41EC-ACCB-963509EAE56B} (SysProWmi Class) - http://support.dell.com/systemprofiler/SysPro.CAB
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (Installation Support) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\Yinsthelper.dll
O16 - DPF: {B1E2B96C-12FE-45E2-BEF1-44A219113CDD} (SABScanProcesses Class) - http://www.superadblocker.com/activex/sabspx.cab
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shoc...ash/swflash.cab
O21 - SSODL: hjoqor - {2B34A47B-8CC9-4EC5-AC39-4201D3D521E2} - (no file)
O21 - SSODL: xcvwer - {8EAF5D95-2019-4CA9-A42C-CDD4784F6AA1} - (no file)
O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: BrSplService (Brother XP spl Service) - brother Industries Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\system32\brsvc01a.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Lic NetConnect service (CLTNetCnService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: COM Host (comHost) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VAScanner\comHost.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec IS Password Validation (ISPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\isPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate Notice Service Ex (LiveUpdate Notice Ex) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate Notice Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
O23 - Service: RegSrvc - Intel Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\RegSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Spectrum24 Event Monitor (S24EventMonitor) - Intel Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\S24EvMon.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AppCore Service (SymAppCore) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AppCore\AppSvc32.exe
O23 - Service: YPCService - Yahoo! Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\YPCSER~1.EXE

--
End of file - 9883 bytes

Edited by fgross120, 12 August 2008 - 01:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:12 AM

Hello, fgross120.
:thumbsup: to BleepingComputer.com

My name is Billy O'Neal and I will be helping you. (Billy or Bill is fine, if you like.)
Please give me some time to look over your computer's log(s).
Please take note of the following:
  • In the meantime, please refrain from making any changes to your computer.
  • Also, even if things appear to be running better, there is no guarantee that everything is finished. Please continue to check this forum post in order to ensure we get your system completely clean. We do not want to clean you part-way up, only to have the system re-infect itself. :)
  • If you do not understand any step(s) provided, please do not hesitate to ask before continuing. I would much rather clarify instructions or explain them differently than have something important broken.
  • Finally, please reply using the Posted Image button in the lower left hand corner of your screen.
We need to run OTScanIt
Before running a new scan let's clean out the temporary folders.
Download ATF Cleaner to your Desktop.
  • Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Click Select All found at the bottom of the list.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browser, do this also:
  • Click Firefox at the top and choose Select All from the list.
  • NOTE : If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browser, do this also:
  • Click Opera at the top and choose Select All from the list.
  • Close ALL Internet browsers (very important).
  • NOTE : If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

Now download OTScanIt.exe to your Desktop and double-click on it to extract the files. It will create a folder named OTScanIt on your desktop.
Note: You must be logged on to the system with an account that has Administrator privileges to run this program.
  • Close ALL OTHER PROGRAMS.
  • Open the OTScanIt folder and double-click on OTScanIt.exe to start the program (if you are running on Vista then right-click the program and choose Run as Administrator).
  • In the Drivers section click on Non-Microsoft.
  • In the Rootkit Search area select Yes
  • Under Additional Scans click the checkboxes in front of the following items to select them:
    • Reg - BotCheck
      Reg - Disabled MS Config Items
      Reg - File Associations
      Reg - Uninstall List
      File - Additional Folder Scans
  • Do not change any other settings.
  • Now click the Run Scan button on the toolbar.
  • Let it run unhindered until it finishes.
  • When the scan is complete Notepad will open with the report file loaded in it.
  • Click the Format menu and make sure that Wordwrap is not checked. If it is then click on it to uncheck it.
  • Save the file to your desktop or other location where you can find it back.
Use the Add Reply button and attach the file in your next post.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2008 - 09:18 AM

Hello, fgross120.
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please send me or another moderator a PM.

Everyone else please begin a new topic.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#4 fgross120

fgross120
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 03:12 PM

Dear Team:

Billy O'Neal had replied to my "Lost in Space" topic, but I did not have a chance to follow his checklist until today, when I discovered that he had closed the topic for non-response.

The ATF-Cleaner link worked, but the OTScanIt.exe link, and the "send me a PM" link do not work, in fact a blank window pops up that I then cannot close, nor can I then close the main BleepingComputer window. I have to ctrl-alt-delete to end the program.

I tried at least three times, then googled OTScanIt.exe and tried to download it from another BleepingComputer topic, but no go. Is there a website where I can download the program, or is it only available via BleepingComputer.com? If so, please reopen the topic so I can perform the checklist.

Thanks,
Forrest

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 03:21 PM

Hello fgross120,

I have merged your latest topic with your previously existing topic which I reopened.

For future reference, PM stands for Private Message. You can read here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/33018/how-to-use-and-send-personal-messages/ for how to use the Private Message system.

Back to you Billy,

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 fgross120

fgross120
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 03:33 PM

Orange Blossom,

I have to go to work now, will deal with this later, but none of the hyperlinks at this site are working now. I had to cut/paste the link from the email to the address bar to find your reply, and the link about PM's gave me the blank window again that I cannot close. Do you think IE7 or the ATF cleaner is blocking the links?

I will look for your reply when I get home.

Thanks,
Forrest

#7 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 05:33 PM

It is possible your anti-virus is blocking the OTScanIt download. Please simply post a new HJT log instead :thumbsup:

Billy3
Posted Image

#8 fgross120

fgross120
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:26 PM

Billy,

I restarted my computer, thinking that it might "cure" the blank windows/inactive hyperlinks, and so far, I seem to have been correct. I had uninstalled Hijackthis before you asked me not to change anything, so I just downloaded it again, and here is the latest log file:

Scan saved at 11:53:03 PM, on 8/27/2008
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16705)

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Small Business\Business Contact Manager\BcmSqlStartupSvc.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://safesearch.cyberdefender.com/smallsearch.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = https://my.commnet.edu/cp/home/displaylogin
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/...//www.yahoo.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! IE Services Button - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: SidebarAutoLaunch Class - {F2AA9440-6328-4933-B7C9-A6CCDF9CBF6D} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\YSidebarIEBHO.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec PIF AlertEng] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe" /a /m "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\AlertEng.dll"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [DWQueuedReporting] "C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\DW\dwtrig20.exe" -t (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [DWQueuedReporting] "C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\DW\dwtrig20.exe" -t (User 'Default user')
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O6 - HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: AT&T Yahoo! Services - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {01A88BB1-1174-41EC-ACCB-963509EAE56B} (SysProWmi Class) - http://support.dell.com/systemprofiler/SysPro.CAB
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (Installation Support) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\Yinsthelper.dll
O16 - DPF: {B1E2B96C-12FE-45E2-BEF1-44A219113CDD} (SABScanProcesses Class) - http://www.superadblocker.com/activex/sabspx.cab
O16 - DPF: {CF40ACC5-E1BB-4AFF-AC72-04C2F616BCA7} (get_atlcom Class) - http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/p...obat/nos/gp.cab
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shoc...ash/swflash.cab
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: BrSplService (Brother XP spl Service) - brother Industries Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\system32\brsvc01a.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Lic NetConnect service (CLTNetCnService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: COM Host (comHost) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VAScanner\comHost.exe
O23 - Service: getPlus® Helper - NOS Microsystems Ltd. - C:\Program Files\NOS\bin\getPlus_HelperSvc.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec IS Password Validation (ISPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\isPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate Notice Service Ex (LiveUpdate Notice Ex) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate Notice Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Spectrum24 Event Monitor (S24EventMonitor) - Intel Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\S24EvMon.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AppCore Service (SymAppCore) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AppCore\AppSvc32.exe

--
End of file - 9666 bytes

I just tried (yet again) to open Internet Options from the tools menu of IE7, and still get this error message: "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator." I am the administrator, and this is still a problem for me, as it must be due to some "viral" influence. It used to work, but ever since the Antivirus XP 2008 attack, it has not.

Someone here suggested not using "Internet Exploiter 7" and using Firefox or Opera instead, so I downloaded Opera, but the online program that we use at school says not to use Opera. I only use IE7 because it works with the school's software and my Yahoo browser does not. Have not tried Firefox with the school software, but I think it is mentioned as an "approved" browser for the school stuff.

Regardless, I would like to do whatever it takes to ensure that all of the virus is gone, and then maintain a vigil with whatever scanners you all recommend.

Thanks,
Forrest

#9 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 05:21 PM

Hello, fgross120.
We have to remove some entries in HiJack This
  • Please re-open HiJackThis and choose do a system scan only. Check the boxes next to ONLY the entries listed below:
    O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
    O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
    O6 - HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
  • Close all windows other than HiJackThis, including browsers, so that nothing other than HijackThis is open, then click Fix Checked. A box will pop up asking you if you wish to fix the selected items. Please choose YES. Once it has fixed them, please exit/close HijackThis.
I would like us to use ESET (NOD32)'s Online Scanner
  • Please go to ESET OnlineScan (NOD32)
  • You will then see the Terms of Use, tick the check-box infront of YES, I accept the Terms of Use
  • Now click Start
  • Should you face a Security Warning that asks if you want to install and run a file called "OnlineScanner.cab", click Yes
  • Click Start
    • Note: (the Onlinescanner will now prepare itself for running on your pc)
  • To do a full-scan, tick: "Remove found threats" and "Scan potentially unwanted applications"
  • Press Scan
  • The Onlinescan will now start and scan your pc (this could take a while)
  • When the scan has finished, it will show a screen with two tabs "overview" and "details" and the option to get information or buy software, just close the window
  • Click Start >> Run... >> type: C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt
  • The Scanresults will now open in Notepad
  • Click into the text area, right-click and chose "select all" (or use <Control>+A)
  • Right-click again and chose "Copy" (or <Control>+C)
  • Close/Exit Notepad
  • Navigate to this thread and post your log along with anything else requested from us, by right-clicking and "paste" (or ctrl+v) in the text area of the reply post you just created.
Note: For Vista Users: Eset is compatible but Internet Explorer must be run as Administrator. To do this, right-click on the IE icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select "Run as Administrator" from the context menu.)

In your next reply, please include the following:
  • ESET OnlineScan's Log
  • A new HJT Log

Billy3
Posted Image

#10 fgross120

fgross120
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 07:27 PM

Billy,

Here is the ESET log and another HJT log. Just watching the DNC, so let me know what's next. I did note on the HJT log that the deletions were successful, and further that the IE7 problem is FIXED! Thanks for that, and whatever else we may have, or still need to fix. When we are finished, I will absolutely notify whomever you want, in order to further your goals!

Forrest

# version=4
# OnlineScanner.ocx=1.0.0.635
# OnlineScannerDLLA.dll=1, 0, 0, 79
# OnlineScannerDLLW.dll=1, 0, 0, 78
# OnlineScannerUninstaller.exe=1, 0, 0, 49
# vers_standard_module=3397 (20080828)
# vers_arch_module=1.064 (20080214)
# vers_adv_heur_module=1.066 (20070917)
# EOSSerial=ffb06b1bf7a73241b1043459a43ecb3b
# end=finished
# remove_checked=true
# unwanted_checked=true
# utc_time=2008-08-29 12:10:26
# local_time=2008-08-28 08:10:26 (-0500, Eastern Daylight Time)
# country="United States"
# osver=5.1.2600 NT Service Pack 2
# scanned=277057
# found=2
# scan_time=3364
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\WinExchangerch3.zip Win32/Bagle.gen.zip worm (unable to clean - deleted) 00000000000000000000000000000000
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\setupapi.dll Win32/Spy.Webmoner.NAV trojan (unable to clean - deleted) 00000000000000000000000000000000

Scan saved at 8:19:28 PM, on 8/28/2008
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16705)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O16 - DPF: {56762DEC-6B0D-4AB4-A8AD-989993B5D08B} (OnlineScanner Control) - http://www.eset.eu/buxus/docs/OnlineScanner.cab
O16 - DPF: {CF40ACC5-E1BB-4AFF-AC72-04C2F616BCA7} (get_atlcom Class) - http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/p...obat/nos/gp.cab
O23 - Service: getPlus® Helper - NOS Microsystems Ltd. - C:\Program Files\NOS\bin\getPlus_HelperSvc.exe

--
End of file - 9513 bytes

#11 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 08:19 PM

Hello, fgross120.

Internet exploiter.. that's a new one for me. I've always called it Internet Exploder XD

Glad to hear things are all working for ya :)

You now appear to be clean. Congratulations!

We need to clean up our tools.
  • Please download OTMoveIt2 by OldTimer and save it to your desktop.
  • Click the Clean Up button.
    Posted Image
  • Accept any prompts.
  • This will remove any tools we used, including OTMoveIt, and will require a reboot.
Please take the time to tell us what you would like to be done about the people who are behind all the problems you have had. We can only get something done about this if the people that we help, like you, are prepared to complain. We have a dedicated forum for collecting these complaints: Malware Complaints. Just find your country room and register your complaint.
The infections you had were "Bagle Trojans, Restrictions"

Below are some steps to follow in order to dramatically lower the chances of reinfection.
You may have already implemented some of the steps below, however you should follow any steps that you have not already implemented.
  • Set a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one.
    Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since System Restore is a protected directory, your tools can not access it to delete these bad files which sometimes can reinfect your system. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.
    You can view a video of the following instructions.
    • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
    • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
    • Then go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
    • Click "OK".
    • Click the "More Options" Tab.
    • Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.
    Note: You should only do this once!
    :thumbsup:
  • Make sure you install all the security updates for Windows, Internet Explorer & Microsoft Office
    Whenever a security problem in its software is found, Microsoft will usually create a patch for it. After the patch is installed, attackers can't use the vulnerability to install malicious software on your PC, so keeping up with these patches will help to prevent malicious software being installed on your PC
    Go here to check for & install updates to Microsoft applications.
    Note: The update process uses ActiveX, so you will need to use Internet Explorer for it, and allow the ActiveX control that it wants to install.
    :)
  • Keep your non-Microsoft applications updated as well
    Microsoft isn't the only company whose products can contain security vulnerabilities, to check for other vulnerable programs running on your PC that are in need of an update, you can use the Secunia Software Inspector - I suggest that you run it at least once a month.
  • Make Internet Explorer more secure
    • Click Start -> Run
    • Type "Inetcpl.cpl" (without quotes) & click OK.
    • Click on the Security tab.
    • Click "Reset all zones to default level"
    • Make sure the Internet Zone is selected & click "Custom level"
    • In the ActiveX section, set the first two options ("Download signed and unsigned ActiveX controls") to "Prompt", and ("Initialize and Script ActiveX controls not marked as safe") to "Disable".
    • Click OK, then Apply, then OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
  • Install SpywareBlaster & make sure to update it regularly
    SpywareBlaster sets killbits in the registry to prevent known malicious ActiveX controls from installing themselves on your computer.
    If you don't know what ActiveX controls are, see here
    You can download SpywareBlaster from here.
    :spacer:
  • Install and use Spybot Search & Destroy
    Instructions are located here
    Make sure you update, reimmunize & scan regularly.
  • Make use of the HOSTS file included with Spybot Search & Destroy
    Every version of Microsoft Windows includes a hosts file. A hosts file is a bit like a phone book: it points to the actual numeric address (i.e. the IP address) from the human friendly name of a website. This feature can be used to block malicious websites.
    Spybot Search & Destroy has a good HOSTS file built in. To enable it,
    • Run Spybot Search & Destroy
    • Click the Mode button on the toolbar, and then place a tick next to Advanced mode.
    • Click Yes.
    • In the left hand pane of Spybot Search & Destroy, click on "Tools", and then on Hosts File.
    • Click on "Add Spybot-S&D hosts list"
    Note: On some PCs, having a custom HOSTS file installed can cause a significant slowdown. Following these instructions should resolve the issue
    • Click Start -> Run.
    • Type "services.msc" (without quotes) & click OK.
    • In the list, find the service called "DNS Client" & double click on it.
    • On the dropdown box, change the setting from "Automatic" to "Manual".
    • Click OK.
    • Exit/close the Services window
    For a more detailed explanation of the HOSTS file, click here.
  • Install a-squared Free & update and scan with it regularly
    a-squared free is a product from Emsi Software provided free for private use that can detect and remove a variety of malicious software. You can get it here
    Note: If you have a dialup internet connection, you may also like to install a-squared Anti-Dialer which provides some real time protection against premium rate dialers
  • Finally I am trying to make one point very clear. It is absolutely essential to keep all of your security programs up to date!
Billy3
Posted Image

#12 fgross120

fgross120
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 12:21 AM

Billy,

I followed all of the instructions, and ran all of the scans. A couple of them found some remaining junk to remove, but second scans were clear. I will update/run at least weekly scans with each of the scanners. I will post my infections at the malware complaint link you gave me. Those responsible for virus and hack attacks should be made to stare at pop-ups and BSOD's for the rest of their lives.

Thanks again,
Forrest

#13 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 07:58 PM

Hello, fgross120.
Since this issue appears resolved, this topic has been closed.

Everyone else please begin a new topic.

Billy3
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users