Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Thinks It's In Sleep Mode When It's Not.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jack.Straw

Jack.Straw

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 12 August 2008 - 10:16 AM

AMD Duron - 1.29 GHz

Hi. I'm having a weird issue after having cleaned a computer of infections. I'm feel pretty certain that the computer is clean now. Adaware, spybot, and a panda online scan, and trend micro online scan all report clean. The hijackthis scan looks OK to me also. However, when booted normally the computer seems to think it's in safe mode.

First, instead of automatically logging in to the single user account, the log-in screen displays the single user and the administrator account... like it would if i were booting to self mode.

Second, BITS is set to automatic but is stopped. Attempting to start it yields this error: "Error 1084: This service cannot be started in Safe Mode"

Third, Attempting to uninstall Norton AV yields this error: "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.

I checked msconfig and /SAFEBOOT is not checked in the boot.ini. I'm stumped.... can anyone help?

Thanks for your time,
-Jack

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:18 PM

Hello Jack.Straw and welcome,

The problem sounds strange, have you tried selecting to start in safe mode, restarting then unchecking the box and restarting?

The event viewer may give some more information.

1. Click Start select run
2. Type eventvwr.exe
3. Press enter
4. Search through the groups for errors and warnings.
5. Double click on each error and or warning.
6. Find the event ID[b/]and [b]Source
7. Let us know what you find.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 oneup

oneup

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:30 PM

have you tried entering normal mode with f5 during start up?
Posted Image

#4 Jack.Straw

Jack.Straw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:40 AM

" have you tried selecting to start in safe mode, restarting then unchecking the box and restarting?"
Tried it... no good.

6. Find the event ID and Source 7. Let us know what you find.
Just focusing on the system errors created today i find a couple errors that have happened frequently:

Source/ID

DCOM - 10005
DCOM got error "This service connot be started in Safe Mode " attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server.

Service Control Manager - 7023
The System Restore Service service terminated with the following error: The system cannot find the file specified.

Service Control Manager - 7036
The Computer Browser service entered the stopped state.

srservice - 104
The System Restore initialization process failed

have you tried entering normal mode with f5 during start up?
Tried it.. same result.

Thanks for your help guys,
-Jack

Edited by Jack.Straw, 13 August 2008 - 07:44 AM.

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 13 August 2008 - 09:09 AM

When you restrart, can you get to the BIOS? (usually F2 or F12) at the boot screen.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users