Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Local Area Connection T.t

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vipuladusa

vipuladusa

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 12 August 2008 - 08:19 AM

I just recently reformatted, installed all product drivers. When I go to hardware manager all the devices show up, no question marks asking for drivers. When Whenever I plug in the internet wire, the internet wont work. Not only that, the LIGHTS wont even show, with or w/o the wire plugged in. In network connections, the only thing available is the "1394" connection. There is no "local area connection"! Please tell me how to fix this, I need an answer ASAP. Thanks!
EDIT*

I'm on XP. And I DID install the network driver, it shows up in the device manager.

Edited by vipuladusa, 12 August 2008 - 08:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bleepingnetwork

bleepingnetwork

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 12 August 2008 - 09:28 AM

can't say 100% yet, and apologies if you have already tried these or these do not apply. these are just a few things I have seen work in the past for people.

Double check your driver installation, you may need to reinstall the chip set drivers.
is the Card enabled in the BIOS? restart the machine and hit f12 during boot to check it.
While in the BIOS Check to make sure there is not an IRQ conflict. (most mother board manufacturers allow addressing of this.)If it is an ACPI card, the BIOS thing may not work but it is worth a try.

do you actually see the network card under network adapters in device manager/ hardware manager? if no
try going to control panal and use the add hardware wizard
if it still doesnt show up
shut down the machine,
physically remove the card,
start the machine.
once the OS loads turn off the machine again,
physically reinstall the card. ( it may help on the IRQ issue if you change the slot that the card is plugged into.)

if the card is PnP it should show up and the "add new hardware wizard should pop up.

these are just a few things to try... Good Luck!!!

#3 vipuladusa

vipuladusa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 12 August 2008 - 09:33 AM

can't say 100% yet, and apologies if you have already tried these or these do not apply. these are just a few things I have seen work in the past for people.

Double check your driver installation, you may need to reinstall the chip set drivers.
is the Card enabled in the BIOS? restart the machine and hit f12 during boot to check it.
While in the BIOS Check to make sure there is not an IRQ conflict. (most mother board manufacturers allow addressing of this.)If it is an ACPI card, the BIOS thing may not work but it is worth a try.

do you actually see the network card under network adapters in device manager/ hardware manager? if no
try going to control panal and use the add hardware wizard
if it still doesnt show up
shut down the machine,
physically remove the card,
start the machine.
once the OS loads turn off the machine again,
physically reinstall the card. ( it may help on the IRQ issue if you change the slot that the card is plugged into.)

if the card is PnP it should show up and the "add new hardware wizard should pop up.

these are just a few things to try... Good Luck!!!

It's an onboard network card. Btw, how do I check if it is enabled in the BIOS? How do I check for an IRQ conflict? Please help, I'm getting paid for this xD

#4 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 12 August 2008 - 10:02 AM

how do I check if it is enabled in the BIOS? How do I check for an IRQ conflict?

As bleepingnetwork mentioned, you need to hit the correct key when the computer is booting up (that is, just after the machine is turned on and the screen is outputting simple text to the screen). Exactly which key will vary though. Here's a non-exhaustive list based on computer vendor: Access/Enter Motherboard BIOS Double check with your hardware manufacturer to be sure.

afaik any IRQ conflicts would be reported in the hardware manager, but you can also click start -> run then type msinfo32 in the textbox and hit [enter] to view the IRQ assignments in hardware. It is possible and very common for computers to share an IRQ among different hardware components however (this may depend on the OS of course).

[edit] removed article that doesn't apply here.

Edited by jhsmurray, 12 August 2008 - 10:03 AM.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users