Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dumb, Dumber & Dumbest!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Poll: Antispyware Computer Takeover (2 member(s) have cast votes)

Have you ever felt too stupid to help?

1. yes (1 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. no (1 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. my first time (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 PatGreen

PatGreen

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 12 August 2008 - 12:39 AM

:thumbsup: They took over my computer 2 nights in a row while I was connected with live chat through the help line and sent many computer logs to them through "secure mode" haha. Why wouldn't I? I had the blue screen with the yellow and blue warning on my screen & also a warning box that one of MY files was missing, (that really concerned me). They proceeded to put hijackThis, SupportLogMeInRescue.exe.,run that log box thing and left it on my computer, etc., etc., on my desktop as I intermittently dozed off til 3:00AM. It is a work computer so I normally do not deal with security issues, but I could be most of the titles I read on this website only worse. I actually bought the spyware. From what research I've done it is falsely advertised rogue material. I do have a working firewall, antivirus and antispyware. Windows Live OneCare has been catching most Trojans. I did have a bad downloader for awhile and still have VirTool:WinNT/Mader:E that cannot even be quarantined. I'm sure this is not my biggest problem. They stole most of my programs I believe, passwords, I guess credit card numbers, whatever these people do. They left a CCleaner on my desktop, but after my reading noticed that it is .exe. I don't even know where I found that because when I pull up the program it just says CCleaner.com v.2.10.618 MS Windows XP SP3.
Since I fell asleep I never released them from control of my computer. Like I believe that matters. I totally believe they still see what I do. Everytime I go to a page I haven't been to or especially this sight, the pop-ups are constant. Usually it is just one pop-up on a new page like it takes a picture. They showed me how to take a picture of the screen. They could see my screen like they were looking at it. They would respond to things I typed before I submitted it. They were seeming to rather enjoy themselves.
Have I now totally & completely destroyed a computer and become a victim of identity left along with my daughter whose myspace passwords were "hijacked" to use their terminology? If so, any suggestions? If not, any suggestions??? I apologize for such a distasteful introduction. I hope you receive this post & it is not intercepted. Not sure of knowing anyway to find out.

Edited by KoanYorel, 12 August 2008 - 12:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cilypudi

cilypudi

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 12 August 2008 - 12:51 AM

It sounds as if you are a victim of a crime. Check out this link

http://www.elsop.com/wrc/complain.htm

You should report a "computer rape", kidding
The Muses manifest between the Mouse and the Chair.

#3 sharpe95

sharpe95

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 12 August 2008 - 10:03 AM

Your best bet would be to reinstall your OS. As long as you don't have important files on the computer, that definitely is the best option.

Because they hijacked your computer, all of the passwords on there are compromised. Go to a different computer that is known to be clean and change your passwords from there.

If you still want to try to save your OS, go to http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry876163 and follow the instructions there. If the quick scan doesn't solve everything, maybe you can try the full scan.

If that doesn't work, go to http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner and try Kaspersky's Online Scanner.

Might want to try the Online Scanner in safe mode, too. But not MBAM. Malwarebytes' works better in normal mode, I've read.

EDIT: You DID disconnect with them, right?

Edited by sharpe95, 12 August 2008 - 07:38 PM.

#4 don77

don77

Forum Regular

• Members
  • 3,212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 12 August 2008 - 01:54 PM

Your best bet would be to reinstall your OS. As long as you don't have important files on the computer, that definitely is the best option.

Because they hijacked your computer, all of the passwords on there are compromised. Go to a different computer that is known to be clean and change your passwords from there.

If you still want to try to save your OS, go to http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry876163 and follow the instructions there. If the quick scan doesn't solve everything, maybe you can try the full scan.

If that doesn't work, go to http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner and try Kaspersky's Online Scanner.

Might want to try the Online Scanner in safe mode, too. But not MBAM. Malwarebytes' works better in normal mode, I've read.

EDIT: You DID disconnect with them, right?

Agreed,,, with the exception of trying to run MBAM nothing against the program it does a tremendous job but you have already been exposed and if you used the computer for online banking and purchases you should immediately contact your bank and credit card company.
With the damage that could have already been done there is no way in telling if the machine would ever be safe again,

You also mentioned its a work machine not sure if your able to log onto remotely to their network but that could be compromised as well you should inform your IT department immediately
At the very least give your employer a heads up to the situation.

These matters are not to be taken lightly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users