Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Identify Source Of Alarms

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cilypudi

cilypudi

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:00 PM

Just took over a friends computer, been customizing it to my own for past couple days, so I've added alot of programs and removed alot and what not. But question is, suddenly the pc is "alarming" or "chiming" me now every two minutes or so trying to alert me to something, but I don't know for what?! The question is, how can I tell what the alerting is for? The chimes are random, sometimes just one then a pause, and a minute later come three in sucession, then 2 min pause and "ding, ding" but it's driving me nuts, ha

There are no unusual or unkown processes in my task manager. I have run both 'Process Explorer' and 'WhatsRunning' and just sat back and watched, waited on the alarms, but nothing shows up on either program when the chimes sound, as if nothing is alarming or activating. I would expect to see a program flash on, but nothing.

I looked in the Event Viewer in all sections and nothing unusual there, just some DCOM errors, and I googled around and turned some services back on that I had disabled like "Help and Support" and "Net Meeting", so now almost every service is running trying to pin down the alarming. I rebooted and everything.

But something is clearly running and alarming, but I can't see what it it, so that's the question. There's got to be a way to identify the chiming process. Thanks for helping :thumbsup:

ACPI Uniprocessor PC
XP Home Edition SP3
AMD Athlon 64, 2400 MHz 3800+
ASUSTeK A8V-MX motherboard
VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP graphic card
Realtek ALC655 @ VIA AC'97 Enhanced soundcard
160 GB HD (140 GB free)
980MB RAM
VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
The Muses manifest between the Mouse and the Chair.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Charybdis

Charybdis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:35 PM

Hello

Is it the same tone or two (or more) different tones

if its a higher pitched ding followed by a lower pitched dong it can mean you have a bad connection with a usb device. The other common one is spybot s&d's resident protection trying to get your attention.
if its not either of those then,

If its a constant beep it could be a fan inside your case isnt operating correctly, check to see if fans are spinning
or your system is overheating.
your bios usually has temp monitoring, when your system boots log into the bios and go to the hardware/health monitoring page and just sit there for 10 mins. If it makes the beep noise here it tends to be a hardware issue.
if it doesnt make a noise in the bios try booting to safe mode and see if it does it there.

Edited by Charybdis, 11 August 2008 - 11:37 PM.

#3 cilypudi

cilypudi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2008 - 12:29 AM

The alarm is a quick two-pronged "ding dong'.
I turned off the Spybot resident shield and it's still alarming intermittently.

I ran Everest and looked at the sensor data and it's all less than 100F, fans all running.
Could be a bad USB connection, I was fooling around back there with speakers yesterday,
think I unplugged the webcam (it's all blocked in so I'll check later)
but I never heard of an alarm for USB cord before? Guess that could be it. Thanks for replying.

But it still seems like that specific alert should be documented somewhere on the PC...oh well.
thanx again

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 12 August 2008 - 12:36 AM

These beeps are usaully a function of the BIOS. This site should have the beep codes for you BIOS, you have Everest, so you can find out what your BIOS is.

Edited by dc3, 12 August 2008 - 12:38 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Charybdis

Charybdis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 12 August 2008 - 01:15 AM

the ding dong isnt actually an alarm if it is the usb, its just the noise windows makes when it connects (low to high) and disconnects (high to low).

If you go into the control panel and to sound and audio devices
click on the sounds tab
then the save as button and name your sound scheme
then in the drop down menu just above it select no sounds and click apply,if the beeps stop its a windows generated error, if it keeps going it is a hardware generated sound.
You can then use the drop down box to rechoose your sound scheme.

Cheers

#6 cilypudi

cilypudi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2008 - 01:50 AM

Cool, I think Charybdis got it. At least a way to isolate the problem. I had thought about that earlier and looked through the sounds but didn't know what was what blip or ding dong (I don't usually use sounds). But I had forgotten about running the 'no sound' scheme. It's been several minutes now with no alerts.

But curious, I first just turned off the connect and disconnect and 'unable to connect' sounds, but the ding dongs were still immediately there. Then I was clued to the 'no sounds' option. Had forgot about that.

10 min, Yep, still silent now, guess it's Windows generated, but it's not the connect/disconnect alert, not sure what else, but not worried. Would be more if it was a program bugging me.

Thanks for that tip Charybdis, help me isolate it, AND turn it off! bug the stew out of me.

And dc3 for the BIOS tip. I got AMI BIOS, but that's more of a 'beep'. I've heard that before I think. But these Windows sounds my friend had running, man, I hate that crap, it's all good now,
nice and quiet like a happy wife :-)

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 12 August 2008 - 10:17 AM

You can check your Event Viewer for errors that happen around the same time
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 cilypudi

cilypudi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2008 - 10:25 AM

@garmanma, yea, that's the first thing I did, checked Event Viewer, Process Explorer and Whatsrunning, but nothing was showing up. I guess Window's sound alerts for minor things don't get recorded in the Event Viewer.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:20 PM

Start killing off stuff in the System Tray one-by-one and wait to see if it still sounds off.
If you close everything and it's still sounding off, then start killing stuff in the processes tab of Task Manager (one-by-one again) until you find it.

I did this once only to find out that it was a web page that was open in Firefox that was causing it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 cilypudi

cilypudi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:30 PM

ok, thanks usamsa, I'll give that a try :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users