Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Locked Out Of Windows Xp Home, Can't Log In

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 karin_

karin_

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:32 PM

I originally posted this in the "Am I infected?" forum, but I figured my problem fits more in this one. Hope that's ok.

I'm currently locked out of my system: Windows XP home edition. When I try to log in to my account, after inputting the password it says "loading personal settings..." (what it usually says) and then goes to a blank darkish blue screen. Then after a few moments it goes back to the login screen and says "saving personal settings...logging out" (what it would say if I had logged out.) Upon trying again it doesn't even go to that blank sceren, just stays on the login page with "loading personal settings *pause* saving personal settings". I only have that account on the login screen, although I tried rebooting in Safe Mode but the same thing happpened when I tried to log in under the Administrator account option.

This problem originally occurred after I was infected by the spyware trojan Anti-virus XP 2008. After trying to rip a video, I was alerted by a pop-up window saying I had a thousand something virus threats. I thought it was fishy, so I just closed the window. Then it started popping up again and my desktop wallpaper was turned blue saying warning spyware detected. I looked up anti-virus xp 2008 on a different computer and realized it was a spyware trojan. So I tried to get rid of it myself. (I found the bleeping computer instructions to use MBAM sort of late so I didn't do it that way.) I first used spybot search and destroy which identified the malware but couldn't remove it. Then (following instructions I found on a forum...)I used ATF Cleaner, Smitfraudfix, VundoFix, and finally SuperAntiSypware. The SuperAntiSpyware program scanned my entire system and found all the anti-virus xp files. I made sure all the boxes were checked and pressed the delete/fix button. Finally it said I had to reboot as a final step.

I thought I had finally gotten rid of the virus, but when I tried to log in it wouldn't let me. I'm wondering if perhaps an important startup file was deleted during the spyware deletion? I was thinking of re-installing Windows XP, but I don't know how to get a CD to run if I can't get past the log-in screen. Is there a command prompt or something I can run?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:45 PM

Are you able to boot into Safe Mode?

How to start Windows in Safe Mode
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 karin_

karin_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:51 PM

I did try starting in Safe Mode. I can get to that F8 screen, but after selecting start in Safe Mode it goes to the login screen (which I'm not sure if it's supposed to or not?) and the only difference is that there is an Administrator log-in option in addition to my normal log-in account. The Administrator account does not seem to require a password, but once again, it gives me the "loading...saving...logging out" message. :\

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:35 PM

At the F8 screen, try selecting "Last Known Good Configuration".
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 karin_

karin_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2008 - 12:19 AM

I tried that as well earlier and it didn't work. It also went to the login screen and from there I can't proceed. (Thank you for your helping me btw.)

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2008 - 12:25 AM

Insert your Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 12 August 2008 - 10:12 AM

Did the Am I Infected...give you a clean bill of health...or are they still working on your situation?

Louis

#8 karin_

karin_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2008 - 02:28 PM

I ran the recovery console, and it said that it fixed one or more errors in the volume...but I still can't log in!
Just to clarify, when it asks which Windows installation I want to log into I did the one that said C:\WINDOWS. There were two other options: H:\MiniNT
H:\I386.

@Louis: I did get one response but it didn't really help me and I'm not sure how to do the ".iso" file Linux thing he talks about...http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/162642/anti-virus-xp-2008-help-please/?p=907994
I'm not sure if I successfully removed all the spyware with SUPERAntiSpyware. I think I did but it asked me to restart and after restarting I could no longer log in.

#9 karin_

karin_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2008 - 11:58 PM

(Sorry if double posting is not allowed!)

Using the Windows XP CD, I also tried to reinstall XP, but unfortunately when I got to the screen to select where to reinstall (Select Windows XP Installation to Repair) there was no "R=repair" option, only an install and delete option so I exited.

At this point, should I just take the computer to a professional computer store to hopefully save all my important files?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,848 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 11:22 AM

No...I don't think it's time to spend money yet :thumbsup:.

Right now...how far does your system get in the boot process? And what screen shows up when the boot process fails?

The only time I've been locked out of attempting a repair install...I had hardware problems that had to be resolved first.

You are right, we should move whatever data files are on C: to another partition.

How many hard drives are installed on this system...and what are the partitions on each?

Do you have a XP Home OEM CD?

H:\MinNT...do you mean WinNT? WinNT should be a folder, not a drive/partition.

Same for H:\I386.

Who set up your H: partition? What do you think it's for?

Louis

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 13 August 2008 - 03:41 PM

Here's some options since you didn't have a Repair option: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepair...ll.htm#warning2
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 karin_

karin_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2008 - 02:09 AM

Thank you guys for all your help. I ended up taking my computer in today to get the data backed up and then a clean install just because I really needed to make sure I didn't lose some of the files on the hard drive. I did try those other options and still couldn't get the Repair option to show up and I had no idea what those H: partitions were for ^^;;

Thank you for helping me though!

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,848 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:18 AM

Glad you resolved it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users