Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Image Reader

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 polaris6

polaris6

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 19 April 2005 - 08:06 AM

When viewing images (specifically jpgs), the screen tells me that I am using the Windows image viewer. When I load Adobe Photoshop (5.5), when I try to view the same image, I am diverted to the Adobe Image Reader (2.0).

How can I disable the Adobe Image Reader function and use the Windows default image reader?

Using Windows XP/Dell Latitude.

thanks

polaris6

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,541 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2005 - 10:08 AM

You are saying you have the photoshop program open, and open a jpeg, instead the image opens in imageready?

#3 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2005 - 08:37 PM

The Photoshop program is NOT open when I click on a jpg image file. The default reader appears to be Photoshop AFTER I install the software. Before I install Adobe Photoshop, the default image viewer is the XP Windows viewer. Somehow the default viewer changes when I install Photoshop.

I have uninstalled Adobe Photoshop, and Windows again becomes my default viewer. Once I install Photoshop, it becomes the default, even when, during the installation, I specify that I did not want that part installed.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,541 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2005 - 10:11 PM

When you install photoshop it will ask you what extensions you want it to handle from then on. Dont let it choose bmp, jpeg, jpg, gif, or pngs and you should be good.

#5 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2005 - 11:00 PM

I just tried that and I still get Photoshop to open when I click on a jpg image. Is there somewhere in XP where one designates which viewer is to be the default viewer. Clearly, before I install Photoshop, Windows is the default viewer; afterwards, Photoshop is. Now, can I change that?

I have this verson on another computer with Win 2K installed and I don't hae that problem. Hence, this make me think it is an XP issue.

polaris6

#6 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 19 April 2005 - 11:52 PM

Try this please, right click one of the files in question and choose Open With, Now click Choose Program, now choose Windows Picture and Fax viewer and check the box that says always use this to open files of this type. Next click Apply & Ok and see if that resolves the problem. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

#7 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2005 - 06:53 AM

Bingo...right on.