Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pentium 3 Reported Speed Incorrect

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nkfro

nkfro

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:49 PM

This is in a Toshiba Tecra 8100 laptop. When I purchased this computer, Everest, Belarc Advisor and WinXP reported that the processor was a P3 Coppermine 650mhz. This machine began to run very slowly Saturday afternoon. Went to Properties in My Computer to verify that all 512 mb of PC 100 memory were being reported. Then I looked at the processor info. WinXP Pro reeported the processor to be a P3 328mhz - roughly half of the speed reported up to that time. The speed reported has since returned to 650 mhz and the computer speed is back where it has been. Running the computer from the power supply vs. battery alone made no difference.

What could cause this type of problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:32 AM

It might be underclocking the processor to save battery life/electricty, and reduce heat while idling. Were you doing more things when you saw the speed jump back up to 650mhz?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 nkfro

nkfro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 12 August 2008 - 05:58 PM

It might be underclocking the processor to save battery life/electricty, and reduce heat while idling. Were you doing more things when you saw the speed jump back up to 650mhz?

Yes. At that time, I was submitting a materials order to a vendor and involved in an online discussion. This computer connects to the Internet via a 3Com USB adapter.

To be clear, I was engaged in those activities at the time that this machine seemed to slow down as well as when the speed returned to 'normal'.

Edited by nkfro, 12 August 2008 - 06:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users