Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quick Printer Question...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 plaz

plaz

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 08:58 PM

I am looking at printers and want a printer that everyone in the house can print from. I have a total of 3 xp desktops and 2 Vista laptops connected to my wireless network. Only 1 of the desktops are wired directly and the balance are all connected wirelessly (Linkys B befw11s4). I plan on physically placing the printer pretty close to my router (within 5-6 ft).

My question, I see network ready printers and "wireless" or "wifi" printers. What is the difference in them and which whould I be looking for? I'm assuming if I wire my printer directly into the router that makes a difference?

Right now I am looking to buy a hp J6480 "wireless" printer.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/HP-Officeje...roductDetail.do

Thanks for any help you can give me!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bleepingnetwork

bleepingnetwork

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:35 AM

From what I understand the difference between network ready and Wireless would be for the setup from default. On a wireless printer you may need to set up the wireless network card on the printer to your network. I.E. static or DHCP. the network ready ones are typically setup with with a default DHCP configuration.

for a Review on that printer check

http://reviews.cnet.com/multifunction-devi...2.html?hhTest=1

This printer looks like a Good one I have to admit. Pretty much all your getting different than any other simular printer would be the wireless ability. I believe the machine also allows for wired in case you find issues with it.

Things to think about when purchasing a printer would be

Does the printer fit your needs.
Usability.
Service plan/ warranty.
Cost per page.
and footprint. footprint being how much physical space will the unit take up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users