Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Code 37 With Floppy

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mysticduck

mysticduck

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 08:34 PM

so, I have a computer with a floppy drive that will not function. Device manager shows the drive as non-functional with a code 37. Uninstall and reinstall does nothing. This error code seems to occur mostly with cd & DVD drives, and there is a handy reg file that removes the upper and lower filters for the optical drives, yet I have seen no fix for the error for a floppy drive. I tried the optical drive fix with no succes. The error code shows up for both internal and external floppy drives. Anyone with any ideas?
Stultorum infinitus est numerus

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:01 PM

When do you get the error? Circumstances?

Have you checked the connections?

Is it recognized in the BIOS? Recognized in My Computer?

Any error messages about the drive in Event Viewer?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

You have an external floppy that connects via USB?

Louis

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:56 AM

A code 37 error in Device Manager means that Windows could not initialize the device driver for that device (the floppy drive).
Uninstalling the device in Device Manager and letting Windows redetect it on a reboot will most times solve this problem.
If that hasn't worked, then you'll most likely need to update your motherboard drivers.

Since this occurs with both internal and external (USB, I presume) drives, it's most likely a driver issue - although it is possible that there is damage to the motherboard that could cause this (but it's less likely than the driver issues).

Beyond that, I'd have to suggest the use of SFC.EXE /SCANNOW from the Run dialog to ensure that there's no issues with your protected system files. Then, if that still doesn't work, I'd have to suggest a repair install of Windows.

If you have Internet Explorer 7 installed, read this first: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964
The repair install instructions are here: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 mysticduck

mysticduck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 12 August 2008 - 11:05 AM

The error is always there, safe mode or normal, in device manager. Have checked the connections, even tried a new internal drive, no luck. Recognized in bios, yes, but of course the external usb one isn't. The usb one attempts to install itself, then gets the code 37. Tried an uninstall reinstall, no success. Will try a bios update (it's an HP computer, so that should be interesting) and see if there is a floppy update. Will also try SFC and report back. Thanks for the quick replys.
Stultorum infinitus est numerus

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:26 PM

I don't recommend BIOS updates except as a last resort. They're dangerous to do, and the slightest variation can cause unrecoverable problems. We hose a BIOS at work and had to repair the damage out of our own pocket.

Read the changelog for the BIOS update to see if it addresses the floppy drive controller. In the event that there are many BIOS updates, only flash 2 or 3 steps at a time. Finally, print out the instructions on how to do the flash and follow them exactly.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users