Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

There Is Something Seriously Wrong With My Computer

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 datbomb

datbomb

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 08:31 PM

Hello guys, I think there may be something seriously wrong with my computer. So here's whats happening: A few weeks ago I upgraded my ram from 512mb to 2gb DDR 400. My motherboard (648FX-A) does support DDR 400. Anyways ever since then, my computer has been crashing constantly and saying that it just "recovered from a serious error." Could the ram be conflicting with any drivers or programs?

Also during the BIOS/DOS boot screen, the words seem to be wavy. I don't know how else to describe it. I don't know if it was always like that or not. I've just never noticed until recently.

The inside of my computer is also dusty. I don't know if that could also be a part of the problem. Maybe some dust got into the slot and on the pins when I installed the new ram?

Here's a link to the motherboard product webpage on ECS: http://www.ecsusa.com/ECSWebSite/Products/...D=7&LanID=9

There's a BIOS update on there, I don't know if I should do it or not because I've read that it can be very risky.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Oh and there's one more thing: sometimes there are random pixels that appear on my screen that look like a rainbow color. I don't know if this has any importance or not...

Edited by datbomb, 11 August 2008 - 08:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:30 PM

Well...you can test your memory.

General test: Try a single module by itself. Then, try the other module by itself. Then both modules together in a specific order. Then both modules together with the order switched.

That will give you some idea whether it's a module or the motherboard socket for the RAM...or which one it might be.

If the system behaves the same under all conditions...then maybe you need to test the RAM more.

IMO, from what you've stated...I would have to suspect the memory as being the problem.

Louis

#3 datbomb

datbomb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:07 PM

How would I test the memory? Anyone else with opinions? I dunno, I might just flash my BIOS and see if that would fix it.

#4 Dr_Manhattan

Dr_Manhattan

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:30 PM

You can download a software called "memtest86" and this is a really good software to test the memory of your computer. Download the program, put it on a CD, boot the computer to the CD, and test the memory of your computer for any errors.

Test the memory for about 2hrs minimum. Could be the ram since you haven't had any issues before you installed the new one. Also you can buy some compressed air dust cans and use that to take the dust off from the computer.

#5 datbomb

datbomb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 03:49 AM

I guess I can give memtest a try. But I highly doubt that the memory hardware itself could be the problem. My motherboard says that it can support DDR 400, however in the instructions manual on page 16(there is an instructions manual in pdf format on the website I provided above), it says that it cannot guarantee that it would work with all DDR 400 modules. Could it be that this is why my computer is acting weird?

Oh and recently the blue death screen has popped up. It said something about "memory dump" and then proceeded to restart.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 13 August 2008 - 10:34 AM

Crucial Memory,com
I think I would run memtest before flashing the BIOS.
ECS is far from being the best board to purchase
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 datbomb

datbomb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 10:43 AM

Crucial Memory,com
I think I would run memtest before flashing the BIOS.
ECS is far from being the best board to purchase

Yeah I know, but it's cheap. I'll give memtest a shot later on today and post my results.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 12:45 PM

Not all PC3200 is the same :thumbsup:.

You can run Memtest overnight on your installed and see is there are problems.

I never ask this, but...are you overclocking your system?

FWIW: I like ECS motherboards, they've been fine for what I do on a computer :flowers:.

Louis

#9 datbomb

datbomb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2008 - 12:34 AM

I don't think the CPU is overclocked, but I'm just not sure about that.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2008 - 03:23 PM

The reason that I asked about overclocking...various vendors will take older chips and overclock them...as an inexpensive way of providing/claiming higher bus speeds. That's one reason why users will often see a motherboard with a CPU which is not on the "supported/recommended" list of the manufacturer.

I know that some retailers selling ECS/PC Chips motherboards do this fairly often.

I suspect that this matching of CPUs and motherboards...might prove unstable at times, with instability being controlled by the system clock/bus speed mechanism...and being reflected in RAM instability.

Just a guess based on some recent experiences, my theory is probably wrong ;).

Louis

#11 datbomb

datbomb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2008 - 06:18 PM

If your theory is correct, how might I remedy this?

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2008 - 07:34 PM

The first step would be to run Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic - http://www.memtest86.com/ and check your current memory modules.

Memtest will do a series of diagnostic drills on the modules (do both at the same time, results will be reflected for each module).

What you are looking for are errors noted, on any pass...for either or both modules.

Some people say to run 3 passes :thumbsup:. I find that 3 passes are not enough, since the test really should run a few hours. If you run a series of passes for a half-hour, that should be enough (IMO).

I ran passes with both modules, then 1 module in one RAM socket, then the other module in the same socket...then moved to the other socket. I don't rule out the possibility of a motherboard RAM socket being faulty (it's manmade like everything else).

If you get no errors at all...your RAM is not the correct focal point.

You might also pay attention to the timings data reflected in Memtest for each module. Theoretically, it should be the same, but maybe not.

There are others who can probably explain all this better than I...I can only give you my experiences and thoughts.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users