Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Simple steps to keep your computer secure!

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 30 July 2004 - 10:14 AM

Follow these steps in order to keep your computer clean, secure, and running efficiently.
  • Install Spybot - Search and Destroy - Install and download Spybot - Search and Destroy with its TeaTimer option. This will provide realtime spyware & hijacker protection on your computer alongside your virus protection. You should also scan your computer with program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software.

A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:

Using Spybot - Search & Destroy to remove Spyware , Malware, and Hijackers

• Install Ad-Aware - Install and download Ad-Aware. ou should also scan your computer with program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software in conjunction with Spybot.

Using Ad-aware to remove Spyware, Malware, & Hijackers from Your Computer

• Commercial Spyware Removal/Protection Programs - If you feel more comfortable installing a commercial Spyware removal program then we recommend WebRoot's Spysweeper or Lavasoft's Ad-Aware Professional. There are many commercial products on the market, but unfortunately most are misleading and substandard. Both of the products we recommend here are proven to be excellent products and a worthy addition to the arsenal of software protecting your computer.

Spysweeper Product Information
    Ad-Aware Pro Production Information

• Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
    • From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
    • Click once on the Security tab
    • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
    • Click once on the Custom Level button.
      • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
      • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
      • Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
      • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
      • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
      • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
      • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
      • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
    • Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
  • Use an AntiVirus Software - It is very important that your computer has an anti-virus software running on your machine. This alone can save you a lot of trouble with malware in the future.

See this link for a listing of some online & their stand-alone antivirus programs:

Virus, Spyware, and Malware Protection and Removal Resources

• Update your AntiVirus Software - It is imperitive that you update your Antivirus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your antivirus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.

• Use a Firewall - I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer. Without a firewall your computer is succeptible to being hacked and taken over. I am very serious about this and see it happen almost every day with my clients. Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly.

For a tutorial on Firewalls and a listing of some available ones see the link below:

Understanding and Using Firewalls

• Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://www.windowsupdate.com regularly. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.

• Install SpywareBlaster - SpywareBlaster will added a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs.

Using SpywareBlaster to protect your computer from Spyware and Malware

• Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.
Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.

Edited by Grinler, 30 December 2004 - 11:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rhubarb

rhubarb

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 15 August 2005 - 11:18 AM

:thumbsup:

Mr.Grimler,

It was this tutorial and another one on
"How I got infected" that helped me to restore my computer to a decent speed.
That's why I decided to get involved with BC.
It is my first discussion group of any kind.
Was squeamish. So many posts,so little time

:flowers:

many thanks,

Rhubarb

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,271 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2005 - 05:22 PM

Words like this make it all worthwhile :thumbsup: Thanks!

#4 petekaz77

petekaz77

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2005 - 12:36 AM

Thankyou so much for cutting through a whole lot of computer crap and giving some straight forward instructions. Very helpful.

Cheers mate

pete

(Moderator edit: deleted the quotation of the entire pinned post in the reply. jgw)

Edited by jgweed, 13 October 2005 - 11:23 AM.

#5 chris818

chris818

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 12 November 2005 - 05:22 PM

WOW!!! Thanks sooo much for this info!! I really appreciate it.

#6 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2006 - 12:44 PM

Awesome post
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#7 anglwngs

anglwngs

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 12:16 PM

Hi, can you tell me which are are free to download, I have spybot, but adware shuts my computer down, I downloaded a add on from adware and its shuts my computer down everytime i try to use that adware program, ,, any ideas,,,

#8 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 19 January 2006 - 12:51 PM

Hi anglwngs

All the programs that Grinler recommends above are free to download! Is there any reason for using this ad-aware add-on? Do you believe you are infected?

David :thumbsup:

#9 anglwngs

anglwngs

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 01:26 PM

Hi, thanks for responding,, I had ad aware, i put the add on, thinking i could get rid of the winfixer 2005 problem, but then my computer shuts down every time i try to scan with ad aware,, not sure what to do ,, i want to get this winfixer thing off my computer,, also, i was told to update my windows, would i lose anything if i do, as in files and such,, ,,, thanks,, Heather,, any ideas,, i surely could use them,,

#10 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 01:30 PM

Hi There :thumbsup:

I have read your post and I think it would be wise for you to post a HijackThis log for an expert to review. I bet you are wondering what HijackThis is. Well it's a program that is simply able to show others what's going on inside your computer, in terms of infection etc..

I recommend you follow the HijackThis preparation guide which can be found here. It is important that you follow the guide closely. A number of scans will be run which may well fix your problem.

As the guide says, after you have completed the scans that are recommended, please post your "HijackThis" log in a new topic in the forum found here. Please add your system infomation and also what problems you are having. Please wait for a few days and one of our experts will get onto fixing your computer for you.

Please be aware that this new year we have been swamped so it may take a week for a reply.

David

#11 fran330

fran330

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2006 - 09:26 PM

I use Windows XP
I just started to follow the steps suggested above by Grinler. Before that, my outlook Express was perfectly working but after and since, it doesn't want to send/receive emails anymore. When I click Send/Receive, I get the message sayng the server ended the connection and also
" Compte : 'pop.belgacom2.net', Serveur : 'pop.belgacom.net', Protocole : POP3, Port : 110, Sécurisé (SSL) : Non, Erreur de socket : 10053, Numéro d'erreur : 0x800CCC0F"
(It's in French but I'd think the few words are understandable)

I checked my email with Webmail and this works. So it's really Outlook Express which is concerned.

The steps I had done (before Outlook Express behaved badly) were
1) I installed Spybot
4) I "made my internet explorer more secure", following the advised steps

After this I did run Spybot
a. I scanned for problems, they were more than 50
b. They were all ticked (selected) and I asked for them to be fixed. It removed most of them and left a few unfixed, probably because the were involved in running programmes.

I don't know if it's connected but in case, after running Spybot I also got a small window (which is still there, it doesn't go away, whatever the current page) saying
"Spybot Search & Destroy has detected an important registry entry that has been change
Catetgory: User-specific browser toolbar
Change: Value deleted
Entry: {A798E2B4-B6A0-4B96-8C53-8EC7A3B0895
"(the rest is out of window and can't show)
Under this it's weird: there are 2 long buttons but half of them appear so they can't be read. One of them is covered by "Remeber this decision" which I can tick, and there's also a help button with a "?" but the help doesn't really help me.

Anybody knows if I did something wrong which could disable my Outlook Express? :thumbsup:

#12 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 26 January 2006 - 11:13 PM

Outlook Express — 0x800ccc0f

If you are using Norton Antivirus, you might also want to check this out:
A fix to the Norton Antivirus issue caused by a Dec 6th, 2004 update

.... I don't know if it's connected but in case, after running Spybot I also got a small window (which is still there, it doesn't go away, whatever the current page) saying
"Spybot Search & Destroy has detected an important registry entry that has been change
Catetgory: User-specific browser toolbar
Change: Value deleted
Entry: {A798E2B4-B6A0-4B96-8C53-8EC7A3B0895
"(the rest is out of window and can't show)
Under this it's weird: there are 2 long buttons but half of them appear so they can't be read. One of them is covered by "Remeber this decision" which I can tick, and there's also a help button with a "?" but the help doesn't really help me.

Anybody knows if I did something wrong which could disable my Outlook Express? :thumbsup:

That's a known bug, with Spybot's Tea Timer.
Here's a link to a thread that discusses it:
Spybot/Alert Dialog, Not complete

Edited by tg1911, 26 January 2006 - 11:32 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#13 fran330

fran330

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2006 - 03:37 AM

I want to try the things you suggested, tg1911, but after I rebooted my system, it was impossible to be internet connected, and stilll is. I'm writing this from work. At home, I'm cut off of the internet world!!!

:thumbsup:

Oh and I doubt the problem would be from Norton Antivirus. Yes, I've updated it several times since Dec 6th but I did run it each time and this Outlook Express/ Internet connection problem didn't occur. It only did yesterday after I used Spybot.

So guys if anybody can help, reading my previous post and adding to the symptom the fact that my internet connection is refused all together... When I try to connect, I get the Error 721

Edited by fran330, 27 January 2006 - 07:18 AM.

#14 fran330

fran330

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2006 - 04:05 AM

AAAAAAhhhhh! Guys, I'm so sorry!!! :thumbsup: It seems I called for help for not much... I'm home and my internet connection works perfectly! I swear it didn't work at all yesterday night nor this morning... and this never never happened! Now i'm so relieved!
:flowers:
So TG 1911, thanks for letting me know about the thread which mentions the Spybot's teatimer bug, I'll have a look now.

Moderators, feel free to delete my unecessary posts here...

Edited by fran330, 27 January 2006 - 10:31 AM.

#15 APX

APX

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2006 - 05:13 PM

wow thank you so much sir ;)

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users