Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Melted!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 image

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 05:48 PM

:thumbsup:

I was monkeying around with an old machine somebody gave me.
Before I plug the machine in for the first time I decided to open it up
look around I also removed two stick of SD Pc 133 then reinserted them back into the machine.

The Pc is a AMD 1ghz with two different types of SD RAM(an older one)

But soon as I turn it on I smelled burning (also no picture on screen).
I quickly turn it off and check the RAM One because it was the last thing I touched and two no picture on screen gave me the biggest clue it was the RAM.

Funny thing only one stick melted, It was so hot the SPEC stickers on the DIMM sticks were melted to the DIMM.

My question is Does anybody know why this could of happened?

*Also*
I removed that stick and the PC booted up.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,653 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 06:02 PM

Probably either the DIMM not correctly seated back into the slot, or the slot contacts suffering some damage (or combination of both). Either way, not all the necessary connections being made causes current to flow in a wrong path, burning up a chip or chips. If it was just the DIMM mis-fitted, another stick of PC133 should work normally in that slot. If the slot is faulty, it could also damage any other DIMM fitted to it.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Dr_Manhattan

Dr_Manhattan

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:32 PM

Take one memory off from the computer and see if the computer still boots.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users