Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ip Address Being Blocked?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Evey_Ivey

Evey_Ivey

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 02:45 PM

I am not quite sure that this is the proper place for my question and particular problem, but here goes.

I belong to a little on line community. The person that set it all up gave administration privileges to somebody that then turned around and got all angry at everybody and caused some problems when he left in a huff.

Shortly after he messed up the forum, I have been unable to even connect. Every link that the owner gives me to the site gives me this:

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

What you can try:
Diagnose Connection Problems

More information

I was on the forum on Sunday morning with no problem. An hour later and since I get this message. I have gone to my history files and tried to get there, the owner has sent me links but I get nothing but this message. Nobody touched the computer from the time I was on successfully to the time I tried with no success.

Is it possible that the person that left, left with members IP addresses and is somehow blocking them from that site from another source? If so, how do I reverse this? So far I am the second person that is unable to connect to this site.

Edited by boopme, 11 August 2008 - 08:51 PM.
Moved from AII to Networking ~~boopme

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Evey_Ivey

Evey_Ivey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 05:34 PM

So the site owner and I have been e-mailing back and forth. He is in the UK. I have done what he has suggested. Then I ran a scan all is good. Deleted all cookies. Still can't get connected.

What could be blocking me from connecting to this site?

#3 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 06:18 PM

Hello Evey_Ivey

I would be more inclined to think there is a problem in the route. On the way so to speak.

See if you can ping the site. Go to Start - Run and type "cmd" without quotes and hit enter.

Then type ping "domain.com" <- substitute for the actual domain... or whatever it is.

If that doesn't work, try a traceroute.

At the prompt, type tracert domain.com <- again, see above...

Look at the results. That should tell you where the connection gets dropped on the way. Could be a network problem between you and there.
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 12 August 2008 - 10:56 AM

In addition to doing as Galadriel suggested, contact the site owner again. He/she as the owner should have access to controls normal users can't access. Have him/her look to see if there are any bans that shouldn't be there. If by chance your IP was blocked, normally you would see a message stating you are banned from the site.

Do you have access to another computer with a different ip address? If so, try from that computer and see if you can connect to the site.

#5 Evey_Ivey

Evey_Ivey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:43 PM

The site owner has been working with me to figure it out. There is another member that gets the same message I get when trying to connect. He says that no IPs are blocked on either the forum or the cPanel settings or the server.

I tried the trace domain that Galadriel suggested. When I click on any of the links that showed up there, I get the same cannot connect message. So does this mean that the connection request is not even leaving my computer?

#6 Evey_Ivey

Evey_Ivey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2008 - 10:41 PM

I tried with our wireless laptop and same thing. I did the network diagnostics and it says there is a problem with the connection, checked for other network problems. Windows tried a repair, but a problem still exists. What the heck could have happened in an hours time? I was on the site, an hour later and since then I cannot get connected.

Also, when I tried to ping the site all I get is "request timed out"

Edited by Evey_Ivey, 12 August 2008 - 10:50 PM.

#7 Evey_Ivey

Evey_Ivey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 08:37 PM

Problem solved, but what the heck??? 500 simultanous connections at one time? I can barely turn the thing on, let alone manage something like that! What could have caused that?

He posted for some help and this is what he got. Now I'm connected again!

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/in...9384#msg1659384

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users