Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unwanted Network Printers Repeatedly Appear?!?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JBMartin

JBMartin

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 01:36 PM

Alright, I have an issue that I have never ran across before. On my company's network, there are a few computers that have this problem and it is beginning to become a really nagging issue.

Every so often (~2 weeks or so) a user has an issue where they can't print- it freezes up on them if they attempt to print from anything- Microsoft Office Suite products, MSWord, Notepad, etc. If they do Print Preview, it also freezes. Going to Control Panel and opening the "Printers & Faxes" also locks up.

The only solution I have found is to stop the Print Spool and then restart it...which will allow me to go into "Printers & Faxes". Once I do, I see about 13 different printers on our network. None of which were originally installed on the computers. At our company, we have 3 major printers in different areas of the plant- 90% of computers are directed to one of those. We also have managers and other printers in different areas for special printing needs. Well, those printers are being found and added automatically on their own...almost every one in our plant...a reason why I feel like it locks up in the first place.

So, to print- I have to delete each one except the needed ones. BUT...the problem occurs again a few weeks later and the process needs to be repeated for multiple PCs.

Any help or possible soutions would be VERY appreciated! Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 06:30 PM

Hello JBMartin and welcome.

I believe this article will help http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320138
Regards,

Alan.

#3 JBMartin

JBMartin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 12 August 2008 - 10:33 AM

I'm going to try that, although I had found that article previously and thought I tried it on one of the computers. Unfortunately, I can't guarantee it worked as I don't remember which PC I tried it on and quite a few have had this issue. I wonder what would make it happen all of a sudden and how come it doesn't affect all computers on the same network?

I'll update the status of this issue soon- thanks for your quick reply and help.

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 12 August 2008 - 02:29 PM

It is a networking issue, some systems may have been configured to search for network resources.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users