Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus Xp 2008 (and Something Else)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 VincentCecelia

VincentCecelia

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:59 AM

Hi I am a new here. Been following the boards for a while. I know the first step to fighting viruses is the HJT log but I can't get one. Lets get right into it should we.

Here is my problem: My friend caught a virus on his laptop( Windows XP). Seems to be AnitVirus 2008 XP. And thats where it stops being easy. I believe there is something else working with AntiVirus 2008 XP.

I CANNOT open any file, program, picture, pdf, word doc, internet explorer, firefox, etc at all. Not in Safe mode or normal. I can open Task Manager in Safe Mode however, it doesn't show anything malicious of course. I can't use the RUN window or anything. I am able to copy and paste to and from the computer and surf through the C; drives and everything, but sicne I can't open HJT even after renames, running it from USB, etc, I am totally beat.

The only indication that I have that it is a virus is because AntiVirus 2008 XP is installed on the computer and the icon is on the desktop. I can't access add/remove programs or anything of the sort. I plan on to reformat it if I can however I want to be sure that the virus is completely gone before I do that. So any help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 06:01 PM

If you format the drive, there is a very small rare chance the malware can come back. Bootsector virii and router based ones are few and far between. However you can easily reinfect once reloaded from any number of sources, that should be your main concern
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 VincentCecelia

VincentCecelia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2008 - 03:18 PM

Well I forget to say a day later I figured out a way around the program lock.

I went into SAFE MODE then I LOGGED OFF as a USER. Then LOGGED BACK IN as the same user. magically I was able to run the standard tools in order to remove the virus. Hope it helps someone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users