Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Broken?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RAM1

RAM1

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:25 AM

i just bought a new excelstor 250 gb hdd and two sticks of centon sdram from newegg. great prices, got here in one day. but, i tried to put the new hdd in my computer, and every time i try to boot it it says "no boot device detected. insert system disk and press f1 to continue."
this is the first thing to appear, and i cant get anything else to show up on the screen. i tried running the device as a master and as a slave to my old hdd, but it says the same thing. i put in just the old hdd and it works fine. any idea whats up?
thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:42 AM

First off, Are both hard drives Sata? Or is one Sata and one IDE?

Have you tried to install an operating system on the newer hard drive?
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 12:08 PM

You need to format the hdd before Windows will recognize it. The Windows installation disk will do this. You may need to set the CD-ROM as the first device in the boot order of the BIOS.

If you have the options to set this as either Master or Slave, then this is a PATA (IDE) hdd. If you have just the one drive on the IDE cable set the jumper as Master. If there are two drives on the cable place the hdd at the end connector which is the Master connector, and set jumper as Master, and set the other drive's jumper as Slave.

Edited by dc3, 11 August 2008 - 12:12 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 RAM1

RAM1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2008 - 12:02 PM

both hard drives are ide, and i dont have the xp disc to install the os. i was planning on copying the files from the old hdd to the new one, but i cant get in when both are connected...
thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users