Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extending System Partition

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 fabio z

fabio z

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:57 AM

Hi, I have a dual booting computer (vista 64bits & vista 32bits). I first shrunk preinstalled windows partition to install a second and third botting OSs but, then changed my mind and only installed the second OS only. My second partition was initially 100GB (not the full remaining space), I formatted it and installed vista ultimate 32. Then I extended that volume to get the unallocated space.

My question is: I don't think diskpart extend command included to "format" the additional disk space. Do I need to do any extra work to make sure the full volume is properly setup?

Thanks!!!
Fabio.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 13 August 2008 - 08:47 PM

It appears as though you only need to select the physical disk you want to extend the
volume on to. It will do the formatting for you, however, use at your own risk.

example

DISKPART> select disk 0
DISKPART> Extend SIZE=10000 DISK=0

This will extend the volume in question into the contiguous non-allocated space on the disk.

I'm going to try this tonight, so if you want to wait, feel free and I'll tell you how it goes.

#3 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 14 August 2008 - 12:05 AM

Ok, so After running the commands listed above, I'm using an additional 32 gb's
versus the original 32 for a total of 64 without and data loss. It seems to work
just as the help files says it does.

There's always the potential for Data loss, so use at your own risk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users