Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Hard Drive, No Xp Disk

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RAM1

RAM1

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 08:39 AM

hi all
so i got a new hdd for my computer along with two new sticks of memory from newegg. got here in 1 day. anyway, i need an os for the new hdd but i lost the disk. can i copy the files from my old hdd into the new one, including the os?
thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 alumbagh

alumbagh

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 08:47 AM

You can clone your entire existing C drive onto a new hdd by using a program such as Acronis True Image.

#3 RAM1

RAM1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:38 AM

so i would download acronis true image to the existing hard drive and then just copy all the data to the new hdd?

#4 alumbagh

alumbagh

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:23 AM

Acronis True Image and other progs doing the same job are not free.

Purchase, download and save somewhere and then install as any other prog and on your existing C drive.

Then run the prog, opting to "clone" the c drive, (not to "image" the drive.........that is a different thing)

Acronis will ask where you want this clone to be created, and you would nominate your new drive which by now you will have installed as a slave, formatted and partitioned to suit.

Acronis will shut down everything as it does it's stuff and when it is finished, it will shut down your computer. You then take out old c drive, rejumper the slave as master and reboot...........you will have your old drive contents on a new disc but exactly as it was before, warts and all.

Then, if you want, install old drive as a slave, reformat it and bingo, more storage.

There are freebie programs that claim to do this job, but such a task is so important in terms of preserving your data, that I would not trust a freebie.

#5 RAM1

RAM1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:27 AM

all i need is the os. can i get that over for free, maybe by saving it to a disk or something?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 01:52 PM

Assuming that you have a valid license/key for XP...you can clean reinstall it on a replacement hard drive and activate it easily.

The important thing is to ensure that you have a valid license/key that can be used when you do the clean install.

It is perfectly legal to use someone else's XP CD to do an install...but you have to use your own license and you must use the same version (XP Home disk for XP Home, XP Pro disk for XP Pro, etc.).

If I didn't have umpteen XP Home disks lying around and I had a valid key, I would just note the key (write it down) and then ask someone to burn me a copy of their MS XP Home CD. Nothing illegal or awkward about that.

Louis

#7 RAM1

RAM1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2008 - 12:04 PM

i dont have the key either, it was with the cd, so thats not gonna work. i think im just gonna try copying the data from the old one to the new one.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 12 August 2008 - 01:18 PM

You can get the appropriate key easily...by installing a program like SIW Download - http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html

The key will listed under Software/Licenses.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users