Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Flash Drive Capacity Error

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Extrodewise

Extrodewise

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 06:57 AM

Hi Y'all,
Been having this silly kinda problem with my 1GB Samsung USB Flash drive. The drive is supposed to be 1GB as it displays 1GB in it's properties when connected to Windows, and even after formatting, it still remains as 1GB. Problem is: the drive can only withold the first 15 megabytes worth of data I save on it. What I mean is, I could save 1GB worth of files on it and the files would be contained in it but when I try accessing the files, only the first 15 megabytes opens, the others simply WON't open or would open as corrupted documents. So, out of 1GB I can use only 15 megs, that's simply ridiculous. Any help in solving this problem would be greatly appreciated. My best bet would be using some kinda utility to reformat the drive since Windows isn't helping matters here or maybe re-partitioning it. Suggestions, comments and links to helpful articles are welcomed.
Thanks Pals...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,425 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 04:31 PM

To format it...just make sure there is nothing on it that you want...right-click it in My Computer, select Format option.

Probably should choose FAT32.

Louis

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 06:10 PM

If it still shows the same symptom after reformatting, throw it away, it's faulty. Flash drives are now absurdly cheap.

Edited by Platypus, 11 August 2008 - 06:11 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 Extrodewise

Extrodewise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 12 August 2008 - 02:54 AM

@ hamluis: I've tried formatting as FAT and FAT32, about to try NTFS.

@ Platypus:Yeah, I know these drives are extremely cheap, I even got a new one which works just fine.

@ All: What I'm asking is: Can't this be remedied? Isn't there some kinda formatting or re-partitioning utility that can correct this fault. Isn't there a SOLUTION???

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,425 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 12 August 2008 - 01:37 PM

Sounds like damaged goods to me.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users