Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Formatting In Fat For Mp3 Player

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 eagletip

eagletip

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 06:12 AM

Hello all you wise people
I am running xp pro. I am trying to format a 2 gig flash drive in FAT ( so my mp3 player will recognize the songs on it) and not FAT32 because my mp3 player will not recognize songs on the FAT32 system.
However, when I format in FAT system, I cannot get the full 2 gig on the flash drive. I can only use about 560 mb. The system will stop transferring songs after this amount. I tried changing the cluster size to 16 then 32k but can't seem to put more than some 560mb on it. Thought it was the flash drive at first as it is new. Not so. I just can't figure out how to format in FAT and get the full space of the flash drive.
Anyone that has a solution is more than welcome to share, please.....

thanks

eagltip
LLLLLYRB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 01:35 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

I have a "2GB" mp3 player, formatted in FAT32. Useable space is 1.88GB. If you get anything less than that by formatting FAT32, I'd say that you have a drive problem.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...07083923AAgFM55

What is the make/model of your .mp3 player?

Louis

#3 eagletip

eagletip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:42 PM

I have tried formatting in FAT but in the mp3 player tonight. I now have 648 mb instead of 560 mb. I can't understand why it would do this. There has to be defaults for formatting in FAT/FAT32 or Ntfs. The size of the flash drive shows correct @ 1.88 gig. But usage is only at 648 mb now.

#4 eagletip

eagletip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 08:06 PM

I reformatted in FAT 32, as you said you formatted. Guess what ?? Can't recognize the songs. Says it has zero tracks but I have almost 800 songs on there. I am assuming it has to be formatted in FAT and not FAT32. Does this make any sense at all?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 08:54 PM

No, it makes no sense to me...unless you have a bad flash drive.

I think of a flash drive as being analogous to a floppy. It either works or it's defective, there is little room for any other conclusion. Have you tried running chkdsk /r on the flash drive? Right-click on it while in My Computer...Properties...Tools tab...push Check Now...put check marks in both options...push Start.

You keep mentioning songs on the drive...are you formatting and then trying to put music on the drive after it's been formatted?

If so...has it occurred to you that these music files might be screwed up?

Louis

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,849 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:18 PM

FAT has a fixed allocation table size, so a partition between 1 and 2 GB in size must have 32K clusters.

How large are the mp3 files, how many and where are they being placed? A FAT volume has a limit of 512 root directory entries, so you cannot have more than this number of files stored straight on E: or whatever the drive is appearing as.

If you have many small files, they will have to be stored in a folder or folders.

Edited by Platypus, 11 August 2008 - 09:19 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 Guest_BlackBurst_*

Guest_BlackBurst_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:52 PM

2GB or whatever is just under that, is the max size for files in FAT. There's no going beyond it. Perhaps the flash drive works by using the space as like one large file. and of course there needs to be space for the file allocation tables and such so there's less than 2GB left. and of course fragmentation issues too. But I'm not sure about some of those results you're getting.

#8 eagletip

eagletip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:05 PM

Platypus................................. YOU are amazing !!! :thumbsup: :flowers:
Thank you. Created a folder and I am now up to 900 mb and counting. I did not put anything in the root. Reformatted in FAT / 32k and created a folder and voila ! Something to remember next time I work with old mp3 player...lol
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you !!!
To you and everyone else for helping out.

eagletip

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,849 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:26 AM

Glad you got a good result!

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users